Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Dealextreme $17.24 red laser:  burning time

Razako

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9865
This thing has got to be the cheapest burning laser out there. As is it won't burn stuff but that is easy to solve. Simply max out the pot, focus the lens so the beam converges, and hook it up to a 5V dc adapter and you are ready to burn.

It works best if you set the thing up in a box like this. You can also power it with 4x AA batteries if you want to make it portable.
IMG_0939.jpg

A short video where I light 3 matches and burn the leather on a lasershades case.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r_ckdvvN64[/media]

If you have always wanted a burning laser and don't feel like spending a ton of cash you really can't beat this thing.

Re: Dealextreme $17.24 red laser:  burning ti

yeah the heatsink makes it great for long runs - if i didn't already have something similar i would have gotten one 8-)

Re: Dealextreme $17.24 red laser:  burning time

cant you pull out the module and make a circuit for it ,find a case to fit it in and .. you have a burner ?

why waste the good driver though? if you wanna make a pen sized laser just buy the diode alone

MarioMaster said:
yeah the heatsink makes it great for long runs - if i didn't already have something similar i would have gotten one 8-)
This laser doesn't seem to have any duty cycle. You can leave it running for 10+ hours and the heatsink will only feel slightly warm when you touch it. This laser does have a very annoying 5 second emission delay that can probably be bypassed by modifying the driver board.

oooh i was gonna buy one of these, good to know that its a good laser before i buy

Hehe.. that's one big laser pointer :)

But these modules are quite nice, great heatsink. I plan to mount an open can in it at some point, should be a winner then.

I see your point, nice, cheap, reliable and cool.

However, I used an old pen housing from my first DX 30 I destroyed. I set up a switch (using the same button), a spring for negative power, and retrofitted an Aixiz laser housing with a Sony 18X DVD 140mW diode ($12 on ebay) with the same exact capabilities but much more portable. I've built 2 5 months ago and both still work beautifully. (I used the dvd hack method with no driver). The major con seems that it sucks batteries very quickly. On a fresh set of NiMh (AAA), last about 1 minute at 100% before dropping dramatically after that.

Anyway, thanks for the show and tell!

Other thoughts: would you be able to use that drive with a different type of laser, like for a high-powered blu-ray or something?

Ace82 said:
I see your point, nice, cheap, reliable and cool.

However, I used an old pen housing from my first DX 30 I destroyed. I set up a switch (using the same button), a spring for negative power, and retrofitted an Aixiz laser housing with a Sony 18X DVD 140mW diode ($12 on ebay) with the same exact capabilities but much more portable. I've built 2 5 months ago and both still work beautifully. (I used the dvd hack method with no driver). The major con seems that it sucks batteries very quickly. On a fresh set of NiMh (AAA), last about 1 minute at 100% before dropping dramatically after that.

Anyway, thanks for the show and tell!

Other thoughts: would you be able to use that drive with a different type of laser, like for a high-powered blu-ray or something?
You probably could. Just check the output voltage on the driver and make sure it is compatible with whatever you want to hook up to it.

i think im going to buy one of these and use the module and the diode in it if i buy from senkat  its 26.50 $ this is just 17  its a gamble but ill try my luck :) what do u think ?

I think it'll work, but the diode in these things isn't the most powerful on the market.

Personally i think this module is nice because of the heatsink, but the diode and module are worth the $17 on their own i guess. I can't do any power measurements, but it lights matches easily and such - and it still would if you took the module out of the heatsink block. Just make sure its thermally connected to your pointer and limit duty cycle since it'll lack cooling.

Benm said:
I think it'll work, but the diode in these things isn't the most powerful on the market.

Just make sure its thermally connected to your pointer and limit duty cycle since it'll lack cooling.

what do u mean thermally connected

Connected in such a way that heat is conducted from the module to the pointer housing. If it fits snugly this shouldn't be a problem, but don't leave the module hanging loose, or make it fit using isulating materials (such as some layers of tape, gap filled with grlue, etc).

i did a test on mine (dx70 potted to max) with no heatsink i ran it for 6 minutes before i decided to stop so as a pen it could be possible to push it harder, most likely as hard as a senkat and it will probably cope. then you got the heatsink for other things.

I can't even light a match with mine, and its all focused and the pot is maxed out.

Do you have any closeup pics of the heatsink? I am wondering if you could just fit another type of module in there. Thanks

Back