Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Deal Extreme 50mW Greenie +pics

Ok, so i got my 50 mw greenie from deal extreme.
i had previously bought "one" from ebay for about $65AUD so getting one for about $30AUD ($26US) was pretty nice.

initial impressions was that the new one was identical to the previous.

but after putting batteries in it and pointing it into a semi dark night sky - there was an obvious difference.

unfortunately i don't have proper 'beam shots', i have one, but no smoke - and the lenght of the exposure seems to have evened out the differences.

i would have to say the results looked like the Ebay version was an incorrectly badged 5mw version, and the DX laser would have to be more like 30-50 ish...

pictures coming in the next few days
laser_stuff_by_dynamicvelocity.jpg

Rhith

I can't wait to hear how it really performs. I have a True 5mw and True 30mW on the way from DX so it's something to look forward to.

Y

yew.sir-name

The ebay has a CE stamp on the instructions. Probably added by the seller.

I bought the same 5 mw model you have from a shop next to my house for 39 $. I see no problems with it, it works fine!

The Ebay laser looks a lot like the <5mw version Optotronics sells for $33USD, even down to the case. I'm sure it would be easy for an unscrupulous Ebayer to buy a bunch from the manufacturer and sell them as 30mw or 50mw to the unsuspecting. That being said, it is probably a very nice 5mw laser with less divergence compared to the DX.

more pics
just to give you an idea of how 'identical' they are (also non-descript)
laser_stuff2_by_dynamicvelocity.jpg

laser3_by_dynamicvelocity.jpg

laser4_by_dynamicvelocity.jpg

laser5_by_dynamicvelocity.jpg

laser6_by_dynamicvelocity.jpg

ok, i intend to do some more 'beam shots' tonight maybe with smoke (the other was without) if my wife will let me break out the fog machine... - and i'm sure you'll see the difference between the two then.
i still don't have goggles, so this kinda thing is worrying me a little - maybe i should walk around them with my eyes closed? :eek:

danq

Often just judging by eye, it's too bright to see any differences that aren't extreme - so some technical assistance is needed. A simple way to get good comparative power estimation:

- point both lasers at a plain dark non-reflective target across the room, or farther if you can arrange it.
- set your camera on manual exposure - both time and aperture.
- set the aperture as high as it will go
- adjust the exp time shorter and shorter, until you can just barely see the dimmer laser in your camera's preview screen

By now you have an idea of relative brightness; record the camera settings for future reference, and snap the pic. You can later compare other lasers just by using the same setup and exposure.

You can use the same technique for doing a "pot mod" or any fine-tuning; just use the camera to dim things down to your human-scale perception.
:cool:
I probably don't need to say this, but in case some novice reads this... don't shine a laser directly into a camera that you like!

the two lasers _ very cool, more pictures in subsequent posts

the nearer one is the Deal extreme model "50 mW" ...

The far one is a Ebay buy from the seller: chingsumsum (but i don't think they carry them anymore - besides they were twice the price of the DX model.)

Attachments

• IMG_2107_Small.JPG
    IMG_2107_Small.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 566

Attachments

• IMG_2108_Small.JPG
    IMG_2108_Small.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 363

This one shows how the lasers are quite different the exif info is as follows:

f/stop 2.7
Exposure time: 1/60 th sec
Camera S3 IS

Attachments

• IMG_2113_Small.JPG
    IMG_2113_Small.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 241
Just received DX 50mW $26 and this one is a Newwish. The brass module looks like the 30mW Newwish I have. I didn’t expect to get a TRUE DX module., I ordered the cheaper model.

And this baby is as powerful as the DX True 100mW $100 one that only ran one hour.
It only draws 340mA that’s efficiency
Its great when you get lucky! ;D

DGM [smiley=beer.gif]

I have a DX non-true 50 and it does not perform as well as my true 30mW. same brightness but dfferent burning capabilities. They are slightly different in the aperture size and cap length. Wish I got the true 50mW too. The non-true version is just disappointing. The true 30mW is all anyone needs to be happy. I'm going to swear off buying cheap dx lasers until I see some great reviews.

Laserrod how do you know yours was newwish? Did you take it out to check?

i really ought to show you guys pics of my 'diy' scanner from a 'bar code scanner' (DUH) ...

it's a 'cris/cross' version that puts out a square 'array of lines' - looks mad in fog with the '50mw' laser shining into it!...

of course that would be another topic...
i'll see if i can set that up tonight.