Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Damage, or paranoia?

mfo

Well I did speak to a medical doctor about the issue. He said it can be a mild retinal issue, but most likely nothing that would require action because I've had it for so long and if it were something serious, it definitely would have progressed by now.

I have an appointment for the Opthemologist on Nov. 23. They said it's a long wait because I told them I didn't feel my situation was an emergency. I looked up quite a bit of info on retinal detachment symptoms such as the sudden increase in floaters, flashes, the curtain thing, loss of peripheral vision, etc. The only symptom that I have are floaters, which is making me thing I'm alright. Still, we won't know until the Opthemologist looks in there.

I also read that in bad cases, they have to jam a buckle behind your eyeball, or inject the gas or oil bubble which is really grossing me out and scaring the hell out of me. In mild cases such as a slight retinal tear, they just laser your retina so that it creates a scar tissue which bonds everything back together. I'm worried, but I'm not. I'm weird I guess. A buddy of mind has a detached retina and he has the buckle.

Edit: And I forgot to mention that I've had absolutely no vision loss or anything like that. My vision is absolutely fine, another thing that's keeping me calm.

SMIDSY

Well I did speak to a medical doctor about the issue. He said it can be a mild retinal issue, but most likely nothing that would require action because I've had it for so long and if it were something serious, it definitely would have progressed by now.

I have an appointment for the Opthemologist on Nov. 23. They said it's a long wait because I told them I didn't feel my situation was an emergency. I looked up quite a bit of info on retinal detachment symptoms such as the sudden increase in floaters, flashes, the curtain thing, loss of peripheral vision, etc. The only symptom that I have are floaters, which is making me thing I'm alright. Still, we won't know until the Opthemologist looks in there.

I also read that in bad cases, they have to jam a buckle behind your eyeball, or inject the gas or oil bubble which is really grossing me out and scaring the hell out of me. In mild cases such as a slight retinal tear, they just laser your retina so that it creates a scar tissue which bonds everything back together. I'm worried, but I'm not. I'm weird I guess. A buddy of mind has a detached retina and he has the buckle.

Edit: And I forgot to mention that I've had absolutely no vision loss or anything like that. My vision is absolutely fine, another thing that's keeping me calm.

that sounds better to me- the floaters had me worried which is why I asked my mum...

Im not sure about that gas bubble or the buckle. I know my dad's had the laser thing done for a mild retinal tear.

sounds like we are going to hear everythings fine and that they may laser away some of the floaters- good luck and keep us posted!

mfo

that sounds better to me- the floaters had me worried which is why I asked my mum...

Im not sure about that gas bubble or the buckle. I know my dad's had the laser thing done for a mild retinal tear.

sounds like we are going to hear everythings fine and that they may laser away some of the floaters- good luck and keep us posted!

Hope so. Hopefully Dave is right like always and that I'm just noticing more of them because of this hobby of ours. It really is weird though. As I said I've had the floaters for as long as I can remember (even before I was a teenager [I'm 25 now]) in my left eye. I don't know if I mentioned this but my left is the better of the two. I covered my left eye and looked around with my right one (horrible vision in my right eye, contemplating LASIK but it grosses me out) and I don't see a single floater. Weird....

SMIDSY

That is strange- I have good vision, 20:12 in both eyes yet floaters in right only. AND I only spotted them after joining here. Dave is right but in my case they just 'happened' as a coincidence. I was worried and had them checked anyway.

speaking of I have a check up this month!

MFO your problem may also be related to eye fatigue related with using the laser, I read that floaters are more visible when your eyes are tired, BTW please read my thread in this same section, I think I have a problem similar to yours... I would very much value your input.

mfo

Ok, the results are in:

My eyes are fine. He recommended that I get glasses (I'm considering LASIK, so screw glasses) but the test results came back negative. He said my retina looked fine, and he didn't even see any signs of strain on it. He also said he couldn't see the floaters which I found to be odd, but I guess that means they are small enough to not be a problem and I'm just being paranoid.

Well, you know what they say: "Only the paranoid people survive."

SMIDSY

well good for you- Im glad to hear it. Im really relieved. Paranoia in this case is definitely better than the alternative

SMIDSY.