Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Customs and Fed Ex

Geezer

Geezer: That $5.35 collection fee is what they charge you as a sort of handling fee for paying the customs duties on your behalf. It doesn't include the 3.1% duties themselves. kind of like interest charged because they use UPS, USPS or fedex money to pay the customs duties to get the package released from customs, then UPS, USPS or fedex charges you extra fees.

I'm pretty sure USPS probably requires you to pay for the package before they will give it to you.
Yes, the $5.35 fee is for collecting the 3.1% duty and you do have to pay before you get the package.

I try to use the post office exclusively because they do deliver. I live on an unpaved county road with only five residences. I’m ten miles from the nearest highway and my nearest neighbor is four miles from me. DLH refuses to deliver and mails me a notice to pick up the package 90 miles away. FedEx drivers routinely lie and say no one is home although someone is always here 24 hours a day. If I want a FedEx package I have to drive 25 miles and pick it up. UPS delivers but sometimes the package rides around on the truck for several days. I’ve had both UPS and FedEx return packages to the sender without ever telling me they had a package for me.

Customs seems more concerned with UPS, DLH and FedEx packages than it is with postal packages. I’ve had some relatively expensive items delivered via postal service (mostly from Japan) and never once have I had to pay customs duties. I bought several laptops where the customs label said electronics with a value of $8 and the packages weren’t opened. I have two lasers on the way now via China Post registered airmail and I don’t anticipate any problems with Customs or delivery.

It is strange, I have only had problems with flashlight hosts. Lasers and magnets - no problem. I'm pretty sure my postal carrier thinks I am up to something though! <grin>

Good Afternoon, My name is Don with Trans-Union Customs Service a U.S. Customs Broker. I read this thread and would like to let you know that all laser pointers require a review and release by the food and drug administration. When you import you become
the importer of record.

Hi Don,

Thanks for joining us here. I'm not sure which post(s) you are referring to, but I just wanted to point out that my original post was problems with importing a small number of FLASHLIGHTS, not laser pointers. :)

tsteele;

Thanks for posting your experience.

What I have experienced is that:

Customs routinely opens my flashlight packages,

quickly goes thru most of the contents,

looses a couple of small items like 17 mm drivers,

and then reseals the package without the "green tape" mentioned above.

Duties have not been assessed, on usual under $300 quantities.

LarryDFW

tsteele;

Thanks for posting your experience.

What I have experienced is that:

Customs routinely opens my flashlight packages,

quickly goes thru most of the contents,

looses a couple of small items like 17 mm drivers

and then reseals the package without the "green tape" mentioned above.

Duties have not been assessed, on usual under $300 quantities.

LarryDFW

Our government at work! :(