Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Custom Heat Sink (request for quote)

Guys I have to eat my hat regarding the diode plug; I did not know what anyone was talking about but re-reading my OP it is pretty clear where that discussion about the diode socket etc. came from.

So Yes, it was my intention to use a "diode plug" as in the attached picture.

So now that I have sufficiently displayed my ignorance, can you be so kind as to educate me on why this is such a terrible idea. My thought was this would make it easy to connect the diode and reduce the risk of messing up the pins, or killing the diode by overheating with solder.

Clearly I don't want to kill my diode with this.

Regards,

-J

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 16589

Someone correct me If I am wrong but I believe it is that if the diode pin wiggles and disconnects with the socked even for a millisecond the current will build up and when it reconnects the resulting spike will kill the diode.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhd

Someone correct me If I am wrong but I believe it is that if the diode pin wiggles and disconnects with the socked even for a millisecond the current will build up and when it reconnects the resulting spike will kill the diode.

Agreed. Though I might toss in the idea that it's a voltage build up either instead, or in addition, to the scenario you described.

I'm thinking of linear drivers here, and if your diode disconnected, I'm pretty sure the "protective" cap would build up some voltage, and then discharge into the diode upon reconnection.

Though one way or another, whatever the cause, the quick interruption in the circuit is what hurts our diodes.

Honestly, you shouldn't be afraid to solder a 445. If you recognize how much heat they sustain in their actual usage, you'll realize that a quick half second solder-on of a lead isn't going to hurt them. I don't know if this makes scientific sense, but I also have a habit of unplugging my soldering iron right before I solder to the diode, and I usually then also quick touch my hand to a metal portion of the iron (close to the handle so I don't burn myself). The logic there (at least in my mind) being that I'm equalizing the charge between my body and the unplugged iron.

D

Deleted member 16589

I would also like to add that a soldering heat-sink is a diode saver. The 445 diode has long enough pins. Its much better than the PHR803T diodes who's pins were as long as the heat-sink was thick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly modified, with "Fins" to help dissipate heat. Also, access to diode was increased from 10mm to 15mm.

Last edited: