Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Custom guide rod laser

BShanahan14rulz,
Thanks for the reminder on the link TJ posted, I think that was just for comparison purposes of the module, but yes, T_Warne is correct. I am wanting blue, or green (although green is even less unlikely due to DPSS and such..) but anyway...
Also, I do not have the skills, knowledge, nor tools to do something like this, and make it functional and reliable enough to handle the recoil.

I filled out a form on Lasermax's site, so we'll see what they say...

Thanks guys.

Cool. Please keep us posted as to their response. It would be really awesome if someday you could be the one to say "I'm the guy who got LaserMax to make that in green/blue. " :beer:

We should elect an ambassador to suggest to LaserMax the possibility of green diodes in their product. They might be willing to let us piggy-back on their diode order, resulting in afordable green diodes for all (and maybe a research/review sample for the OP. Hey, as long as I'm dreaming. . .)

Way unlikely, just musing.

JLSE

@OP

You need to find something like this in a 3.8mm. Optics are built into the can...

TO-56.jpg

I have never seen one of these, if you could find one, it would suit your idea well..

Pic from this site > Innovative Photonic Solutions: Wavelength Stabilized TO-56 Package

@OP

You need to find something like this in a 3.8mm. Optics are built into the can...

TO-56.jpg

I have never seen one of these, if you could find one, it would suit your idea well..

Pic from this site > Innovative Photonic Solutions: Wavelength Stabilized TO-56 Package

I thought I replied to this earlier, but apparently I didn't submit or something, anyway...

:thanks: for this info.
I have contacted IPS about creating a 450nm TO-38 package with built in optics. I am waiting for their next response. I'll post an update if I find out anything else.

Quick update on this:
Lasermax has not responded to me yet.

IPS will not be doing this due to the cost versus profit. They have actually talked with Lasermax in the past. IPS says the cost for to create a packaged diode with optics will be more than a customer would be willing to pay. IPS referred me to 2 other companies that may be more willing to do this on a smaller scale.

I have contacted EM4 Inc, and they have zero interest.

I have contacted Avo Photonics, and from what has been discussed, they may be willing to take on the project (at least the pacakged TO-38 445nm part) as long as I can fork out big $$. I may need to setup some sort of donation fund. What I would really like to do is have Avo Photonics get in contact with Lasermax and sort this out, because they will need to work together to get a sufficient product, and Lasermax has patented the guide rod laser system.

Would there be any interest from the good folks here at LPF to help fund this to at least get Avo Photonics and Lasermax to create a prototype?

I'll post back when I find out more info.

I finally received more information from Avo Photonics, here is what they said:

"1. We’ll assume you mean the 1/e2 intensity diameter is within a spot of 1” radius at a distance of 25 yards
2. We’ll assume the ratio of the semi-minor axis (b) to semi-major axis (a) to be b/a >= 0.8
3. ESD protection chip would be added to drive circuit board (PCB)
4. The laser will require ~40 mA at 5.5 V to operate. This will put a significant drain on batteries (even in pulsed mode). What lifetime are you expecting prior to battery replacement?
5. We know this challenging environment. The mechanical shock on the assembly within a handgun can be as high as 20,000 G. Very careful opto-mechanical design work is required as well as stringent testing.

I have been on travel for a few weeks and am sorry that I am just now getting to you email. The estimated cost for the development of the first couple of units will be approximately $22K. Of course after this, the cost for materials and assembly of additional units would be significantly lower and dependent upon volume. Please let me know if this fits within your budget plans.

Regards,

Joe"

Anyone have any thoughts on how I would be able to get this funded?

Bringing this old thread back to life... kickstarter never worked out, because nearly any firearm accessory is against their policy (as well as other crowd funded sites). However, LaserMax finally created a green guide rod system with the new green diodes. LaserMax > goGreen

They don't have one for my gun yet, and don't seem perfected, but hopefully it will be available soon. Very cool product. I still would like to see this in blue just because its cool, I know green is ideal for visibility though.