Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

custom build: Sonic Screwdriver

Nope, I haven't built one. Yes, you probably were lured into this thread by the purposefully vague topic title. And yes, sonic != laser and blu-ray = violet, I know.

Still reading?

Good!

This is, in fact, a request -- I am looking for someone who would be interested in designing and modifying a pre-existing toy sonic screwdriver into something a bit more... fun. Blu-ray, perhaps? You tell me.)

I have no idea what a reasonable budget for the parts & labor might be... $200? $350? $500? Again, you tell me. Would love to have this done within the next 6-8 months if possible (could be the best Xmas present in the world for someone special). :)

Thanks!

baka

Damn.. my wife would have RAGED if I got her a sonic screwdriver/LP.

Raged in a good way ;)

Do a search for Sonic Screwdriver. Someone is working on a build here, don't recall who.

Last edited:
I'd be able to do a project like this but perhaps not until after exams are over - early July. You're probably looking at around $75 in parts for an 100mW BR diode, driver, batteries, toy and heat-sink, plus a few hours worth of labour, to add one into the toy. It depends how closely you want to stick to the "sonic screwdriver" design though - a similarly-shaped build could be made much more efficient and use the space better if you're willing to deviate somewhat from the plastic toy that you're thinking of. Specifically, the entire body in aluminium wouldn't be as accurate a replica, but it would offer much better heat-sinking, and more space for batteries.

Charlie - sent you an email, thanks!

Baka - the term I like to use when confronted by unspeakably awesome geekery is "nerdgasm". :)

l_a1687e61c4394118a1bb0deca39df846.jpg
l_ccb8220753c54a49850c3ae208bb068f.jpg

Burns like a champ,... :san:

Last edited:
Hey Nanolaser, nice job! Can you tell us how you built your burning laser, maybe share some tips on how others could duplicate your project? Thanks!

My first tip and most important one is, find yourself a sonic screwdriver that uses AAA batteries,... The rest is a peace of cake ! :bday: