Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CRAP already had a close call with the BR

SMIDSY

Guys need an opinion:

Me and friend who I buily an open can for before were having a go with my new BR as he had never seen one at night (neither had I). Just before wer were finished he (underestimating the power) flashed the BR accross a white (vertcle ) PVC window frame right infront of me about 1m away. Conveniently he was lookign away whilst I wasnt

I got flash blinded but I dont seem to have any other ill effects- is there any damage to my eyes?! Im really worried as nothing liek this has happened to me before... I dotn have any dark spots I can see and I dotn think there are any other probs but what do we think?!!

jayrob

I would think that if you don't have any spots or other ill effects, then your eyes are fine...
Jay

daguin

You are fine. If you had a problem, you would "see" it at this point, since you are looking for it.

It is after some time has passed that the brain adapts to the blind spot.

Peace,
dave

SMIDSY

thank christ.....

OK im going to get my eyes checked anyway next week and Im going to order dome BR goggles. I may kill my frined also.....

Are we sure no damage it was a white gloss window with a 100mW BR shinign onto it......

im sorry to keep going on but Ive never had suh a close call woith a laser before.....

Switch

It's no problem, I know those frames.Doesn't really matter that it's white, the glossy finish makes it reflective, but at 1m away, it's very annoying to stare at , yes, but it's probably no more than a divergent 5mW in your eye. :p

SMIDSY

cheers but it did really scare me :-D

thabks for puttign my mind at rest.....

ok ill still get my eyes checked thought as Im due for a check up anyway

cheers guys

MORAL: never let friends near high powered lasers.

Be careful blu-ray lasers are no joke, the near UV at those power levels will toast your retinas pretty darn fast!

suiraM

Correct. And, I would concur that there probably wasn't any immediate damage.

However, it is advisable for anyone that has ever watched the spot of a BR laser, or had any sort of accident with a BR laser, to take an Amsler Grid Test at regular intervals, and to limit their exposure to light sources with significant short wavelength content (such as BR lasers, UV LEDs, cold cathode fluorescent lights, sunlight and intense white or blue lights). Glasses with UV blocking are very useful in that regard.

Remember that even the light from a diffuse BR reflection will significantly accelerate age-related macular degeneration.

An Amsler Grid Test checks for that, and can be adminstered at home.