Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CR123A: 3.0v vs 3.7v for O-like lasers

I'm expecting the arrival of two lasers from O-like: the Cute High power 300mW red laser torch and the 200 mW transformable green laser. Both lasers run on 3.7v CR-123A rechargeable batteries. Most of the CR-123A batteries I've seen available are 3.0V. Does anybody here know if the 3.0V batteries will work with these lasers, or do I need to find 3.7v batteries? I know that o-like will ship batteries and chargers, but they ship these by ordinary air mail. I ordered the lasers shipped by DHL expedited shipping, and I don't want to wait for the O-like batteries.

I'm expecting the arrival of two lasers from O-like: the Cute High power 300mW red laser torch and the 200 mW transformable green laser. Both lasers run on 3.7v CR-123A rechargeable batteries. Most of the CR-123A batteries I've seen available are 3.0V. Does anybody here know if the 3.0V batteries will work with these lasers, or do I need to find 3.7v batteries? I know that o-like will ship batteries and chargers, but they ship these by ordinary air mail. I ordered the lasers shipped by DHL expedited shipping, and I don't want to wait for the O-like batteries.

Yes they will work fine, you just have to expect a little less power emission, a little weaker beam density and a short battery cycle.

Just keep in mind that usually a 3.0, outputs 3.2/3.4...going down till 2.8 or less cuts off the driver, and a 3.7, outs a 4.1/4.3 cycle...

so the 3.0 cuts off after a 0.5v weakness, and 3.7 after 1v weakness.

Most often depends of the battery quality, after all.

Not sure if running the laser underpowered, you'll still able to light matches or cigarettes or even pop a ballon, but sometimes has some sense for someone, for increase driver and diode lifecycle, as long as many laser pointers, are sold overpowered, expecially cheaper ones that are able to burn stuff.

would be a nice idea to buy a 3.7 via mail, for WHEN you want to have the pointer at maximum power.
Easy to get them, mostly free shipped, by dealextreme dot com.

Last edited:
Running the laser underpowered will increase driver and diode lifecycle? I doubt that. However, running the laser overpowered will probably shorten driver and diode lifecycle, but that is not the case.

Frankly I would suggest to wait a few more days until you get the proper batteries from O-like or buying a primary 3.7 CR123A rather that running the laser underpower. I just see no reason doing that. It's like running your flashlight with your batteries half charged. You get a dim light if you get a light at all. What is it good for?