Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Could Beams Be Combined Using Fiber Optics?

BrilliantLasers

Forgive my ignorance if I sound like a complete moron on this subject. But I was looking into different ways of combining lasers, and was thinking about using the knife edge method, when I thought of a potentially much better way, which I've never found any info on.

What if you shine each laser into it's own fiber optic cable, then basically tape all the cables together at all the exits? Fiber cables are really thin, and I think this would be as close as you could possibly bring the beams together.

Another idea(Which I have no idea if the laws of physics would work). Is if you merged all the cables into one at the ends. This solution sounds alot more complicated(forgive my ignorance if this is how fiber lasers already work)

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on this. Has anyone every tried anything like this?

diachi

This is how laser diode bars are coupled to fiber.

overal-fap.JPG

Works fine in the near-field, but far-field the beams start to diverge and become somewhat distinct again. So yes, in a way you can do it that but you'll get better results by knife edging/PBSing multiple diodes.

Another option is to knife edge the diodes, then fiber couple them to homogenize the beams. Can't find the picture just now but some fiber coupled diode packages do it that way. Still end up with a large diameter or large divergence beam that way though.

Think you can see that effect in Styropyro's recent video about his large portable IR laser.

Edit: Found it! Fiber is missing, but you can see where the single strand of fiber would go.
qkSnuX3.jpg

Last edited:

BrilliantLasers

This is how laser diode bars are coupled to fiber.

overal-fap.JPG

Works fine in the near-field, but far-field the beams start to diverge and become somewhat distinct again. So yes, in a way you can do it that but you'll get better results by knife edging/PBSing multiple diodes.

Another option is to knife edge the diodes, then fiber couple them to homogenize the beams. Can't find the picture just now but some fiber coupled diode packages do it that way. Still end up with a large diameter or large divergence beam that way though.

Think you can see that effect in Styropyro's recent video about his large portable IR laser.

Edit: Found it! Fiber is missing, but you can see where the single strand of fiber would go.
qkSnuX3.jpg
Really interesting, thanks for the response!

Most often these IR diode arrays are used to end pump solid state lasers like 532nm greens. I don't think they are used much for any other purpose.