Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Costume idea

Hello, first time post (so sorry if I didn't read a a sticky).

I'm attempting to make a device that will send out a "burst" of lasers on demand for theatrical reasons. I'd like this to be as a costume. I'm rigging up a system that will generate a high "burst" of fog near a point on the costume. While this burst of fog is great to make sure the lasers can be seen in and around the fog area, what kind of wattage would I need to ensure that laser light around 480 nm (probably a 450 + 520 combined with a diffraction grating) could be seen for at least 3m (10 ft) from the position indoors in a room lit with fluorescent lighting? I'm assuming the heavy fog will dissipate in that range, but will be reasonably heavy between 1-5 ft and tapering afterwards (a natural affect that works well with the concept).

Since this is on a costume, I'd like it to be as compact as possible, but still functional. There are a lot of variables (how heavy is the heavy fog? How well lit is the room? How diffused is the light by the diffraction grating?) I will attempt experiments with a 1W 520nm based upon work I've seen on these forums, but I'd like some opinions from someone who has done more research than me, so I won't spend to much more once I get data from the 1W.

diachi

Hello, first time post (so sorry if I didn't read a a sticky).

I'm attempting to make a device that will send out a "burst" of lasers on demand for theatrical reasons. I'd like this to be as a costume. I'm rigging up a system that will generate a high "burst" of fog near a point on the costume. While this burst of fog is great to make sure the lasers can be seen in and around the fog area, what kind of wattage would I need to ensure that laser light around 480 nm (probably a 450 + 520 combined with a diffraction grating) could be seen for at least 3m (10 ft) from the position indoors in a room lit with fluorescent lighting? I'm assuming the heavy fog will dissipate in that range, but will be reasonably heavy between 1-5 ft and tapering afterwards (a natural affect that works well with the concept).

Since this is on a costume, I'd like it to be as compact as possible, but still functional. There are a lot of variables (how heavy is the heavy fog? How well lit is the room? How diffused is the light by the diffraction grating?) I will attempt experiments with a 1W 520nm based upon work I've seen on these forums, but I'd like some opinions from someone who has done more research than me, so I won't spend to much more once I get data from the 1W.

Where to start...

Combining 520nm and 450nm will not produced 480nm, although with the right proportions you may be able to approximate the colour.

You can't combine beams like that with a diffraction grating.

Such a device may be rather bulky. How compact is "compact"?

How are you going to power all of this?

How are you going to produce the fog?

The most important questions, safety>> Where will be the beam terminate? Shooting an uncontrolled Class 4 laser beam in random directions is just asking for someone to get injured or for you to get in legal trouble. Class 4 lasers present a huge eye hazard, as well as a potential burn/fire hazard.

What is this costume for? Why do you need to incorporate high power lasers?

Where are you located? The laser regulations in your country may not even allow such a setup.

:confused::confused:

Last edited:
Where to start...

Combining 520nm and 450nm will not produced 480nm, although with the right proportions you may be able to approximate the colour.

You can't combine beams like that with a diffraction grating.

Such a device may be rather bulky. How compact is "compact"?

How are you going to power all of this?

How are you going to produce the fog?

Where will be the beam terminate? Shooting an uncontrolled Class 4 laser beam in random directions is just asking for someone to get injured/get in legal trouble.

What is this costume for? Why do you need to incorporate high power lasers?

:confused::confused:

Lots of good questions. I recognize it's not "combined" (and they physics behind it). As you said with right proportions it's color matching more than exact science - forgive the improper terminology. First post and all.

I've got a lot of the bulky parts down, to be honest. I'm working mostly on the lasers at this point. For "compact" how about we say "can be bought in diodes". Power source is a 12V, battery currently - again, I'm asking wattages to know if I need to make that higher. It can discharge for 1A for about 150 minutes according to my testing, which is enough to run the solenoids to discharge the fog gas.

No I'm not looking to injure someone either - enough for a good costume, yes, but not to the point where someone gets hurt. If I find from a good answer that I need too powerful of a laser, then I abandon the concept. I'd just like to know a wattage so I can make important decisions like the ones you listed. 1W was only being used for testing because it seems like I could be sure it could work and then I could attempt to measure the brightness with the fog source and scale from there. (And the math is easier when you start with a round number as a baseline).

(Or I turn this into a concept for in the dark, and scale down into the 1mW range - again, trying to get a feel from experts).

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
In the description it says: Red:38pcs*532nm 50mW
That's not real clear, but if that's a total output of 50mW for at least 38pcs, that's not too bad, but I wouldn't believe that they did any actual testing.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure if it was 50mW for 38pc or each of the 38 lasers were 50mW units? The battery doesn't last long and it says they need to be pulsed for cooling. Still, I was going to get a 10mW and test with my setup and see what I could find.

Some fairly bright leds with enough smoke would make a pretty decent "cloud of energy" effect, without blinding. Would need to work it a bit different so they're not noticeable (only the cloud is lit, not the source), but I think it would work. Spotlight leds instead of lasers.

Thanks for the ideas!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
What will people dream up next. :thinking:
I don't even know where to start with this. :eek:

This is by for not safe to do. And as you was perfectly happy with Bowtie's suggestion I can see a huge problem here.
With enough fog it is possible to stay within 5mW for the individual lasers, but it won't look nowhere near as impressive as what you want.
You didn't answer where you was from. This is important for us to know, as your jurisdiction may not permit this.

Bowtie, that is scary what you shared.

228641.jpg

What can go wrong with 38 ~50mW lasers shining around randomly? Some of the beams are getting close to his own face let alone anyone who is going to be around him! :banghead:

tenor.gif

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Guys, first of all, if we all read the OP's first post, he was going to try to make his own costume using 1W class 4 520nm diodes and diffraction gratings! :eek:

I directed him to that costume site because IMO, the OP's original plan wouldn't work, and any accident involving a 1W laser would be disasterous.
BTW, These sites are all over, selling everything from these laser jackets to whole laser suits, laser gloves, laser visors, laser glasses etc.

While I don't believe this is the smartest thing to do with lasers, I believe the product I pointed out is safer than the OP's.
I also don't believe that these jackets have 38 individual 50mW lasers on them; if you look on their description it looks like 38*520nm=50mW for a total output of 50mW.
I believe if they were each 50mW, they would definitely hype that value as "more being better", and state the higher value.
They actually say that a "smoke environment" is needed for these, which to me is a sort of disclaimer saying these aren't all that bright!

Also, while the OP did like my original suggestion, he also seemed to like my idea of using bright LED's for the effect he is looking for.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I agree, your suggestion is far better than the OP's first idea. :scared: But these still have to be Class 3B's and is still ridiculous that the product is allowed. LED's would be far better for this application IMO.
Good suggestion on the LED's. You may of just prevented disaster. :beer:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
:crackup: GSS! :D

I wonder whether we can make this into an RGB? :thinking: