Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

correct way of cleaning battery contacts?

ixfd64

A while ago, my "35 mW" laser from Wicked Lasers started to output less than it normally does, and at times, it doesn't even turn on unless I take the batteries out and put them back in.

Some users said that this was because the battery contact points were dirty, so I cleaned my laser's endcap, and even the batteries themselves. This seemed to somewhat remedy the problem. I decided that the other battery contact point (the part with the spring) must have been dirty as well, but it was very hard to reach. I moisturized some toilet paper and used a chopstick to guide it to the springs. I twisted the paper a bit to scrub off any dust that might be on the springs. It seemed to work like a charm, and my laser now performs really well again. However, I'm not sure if this was the best way to clean the battery contact points. Will I misalign my laser (by twisting the toilet paper against the spring) or otherwise damage it this way? I just hope that it won't crack the solder. ;D

Thanks.

Hi,

Don't know how Verified my method would be, but I use a good Pencil Eraser or Pen Eraser, just use one that one that won't come apart while scrubbing, and very little scrubbing is requires, as it works quite well. It solves all my laser power problems due to Oxidized Aluminum and Tarnished Metal Springs and Batteries. Reaches right on down in there too! GENTLE Rubs is all that is required and it won't hurt the spring or board. If it does, you had issues coming anyway, or you treated it like your Wife!
:-X

What does everyone else use??????????

Thanks!
Joe

I use some really fine steel wool. Just roll some up so its a smaller diameter than a aaa battery. Tape around it until only the tip is showing. Push it inside the battery compartment and turn. Really simple.

The tape makes it sturdy so it can accept torsion. I keep it at my desk for cleaning purposes.

Steel Wool??? Are you sure??? Little Metal Filings Dropping Everywhere? :eek:

I would be cautious of this method, sounds a bit risky for electrical shorts. Just fine for the batteries or the end cap once removed, (and I would Blow them off before assembly) but I wouldn't introduce small strands of metal to the inside w/ my driver board sitting right there. ;)

Other thoughts???

Thanks!

That sounds good. Just make sure to use a very fine grade, as the more scratches introduced to the metal, the fatser it will react to moisture and dis-similar metals that come into contact with it, such as the battery top. (and God Forbid it is a plated metal, sand paper will detroy it) That is why I try to use something that will in no way leave damage to the original smooth surfaces of the metal. Though a small value, you also create some resistance in the contact points if not a smooth connection.
;D

Actually it's 3M microfinishing film and I love it.
BTW Thanks for making sure those points were made clear. I sometimes forget things like that.

Hey A_pyro_is,
Thanks for not taking that the wrong way, like if I were trying to step on you or something. Not the case! ;)

Micro-Finish would be Great! Just didn't want a bunch of Noobies running out and sanding their contacts w/ 80 gritt!
;D

I didn't notice any steel pieces coming off of it. I don't use it near the laser side, just in the battery compartment of the back of the laser.

There is no need to tape such a thing together to reach the front spring. Its right there.

Hi,

If your unit comes apart, and there is no risk of contamination to the board, then it should be fine. (I still wouldn't do it) But yes, some small filings could deffinately fall off your bundle of wool and make for big issues if one falls across anything on the board.

A little filing is nothing short (pun-ha,ha) of a piece of wire ready to short out whatever it falls across.

I would just be cautious or consider the Micro Polish Emery or Eraser, as any contaminents from them are not conductive, unlike the wool.

Most liquids, such as Alcohol, leave a nasty resadue which causes tarnish to steel, but a Good Contact Cleaner sprayed on a cloth to wipe parts would cure most corrosive/tarnish issues.

But you generally don't have that in your pocket when you need it, thus the Eraser comes into play!

(But the wool cleans Glass real nice!)

Thanks!
;)