Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Copper plating AIXIZ modules *GRAPHS ADDED*

Cool :gj:

I have something else you might test, if you don't mind.

Whenever I build a high power build I usually solder on the wires then I put a blob of thermal epoxy (arctic alumina) on the back of the module. My thinking was that it at the very least holds the pins secure, and hopefully helps it dissipate heat better since it contacts the large open area on the back of the diode.

Also I was thinking that on my next build I would take the back barrel and cut it off maybe 1cm past the threads then screw that little ring onto the module (with thermal paste in the threads). That should give it better heat dissipation because in a module without a back barrel the threaded part (which is in line with the diode and is on the main heatsinking area of the module) never touches the heatsink so the heat has to travel up into the thin walls of the focusing part of the module to transfer to the heatsink.

I think if you do both of those things it should give much better heat dissipation.

If you do this I suggest you coat the threads in thermal paste before you thread them together. The actual mechanical contact area is well below 50% with those loose threads, filling that gap with thermal paste can only help.

Or, you could get one of these from me! They thread over the back of an aixiz module and contact the back of the diode and fill the thread space. Thermal paste would be a benefit here too..

IMG_20110906_235745.jpg

IMG_20110906_230504.jpg

I'm curious if solid copper is even a benefit over copper plated modules. Would you be willing to test that for me if I send a module to you wannaburn?

JLSE

I'm curious if solid copper is even a benefit over copper plated modules. Would you be willing to test that for me if I send a module to you wannaburn?

Im sure a solid copper module would yield better results over plating.. The idea of
the plating is to possibly pick up some slack over the standard aixiz mount, but
that has yet to be 100% determined.. In theory id say that the copper plate over
nickel would make a bit of a difference, but I have yet to test this.. Like Benm had
mentioned a softer metal has its benefits.

I need to set up a rig to test the temp of the diode, I think this is an important
aspect that is missing..

Those copper modules you have with the rear ring that fits against the LD is a
a good mount to help transfer additional heat. Aside from having it to press in
the diode which is clever, it also covers a higher percentage contact and should
pick up some extra mW and add to stability.

For my higher power builds I strictly use solid copper mounts.. The idea of copper
plating to me is an easy low cost alternative, but im doubtful that this method
would ever replace a solid copper mount.

I can test one out if you like, and in the meantime I will have to come up with
a small temp probe that I can set on the back of an LD to see any differences
there. This is going to be a key element in the testing..

As it stands the plating is just a simple alternative for those who dont have a
lathe to make their own copper modules, or dont want to spend the extra $$.
It just adds to the DIY mentality for higher power builds...

I also forgot to mention that sulfuric acid is not the only acid one can use
to strip the nickel from the aixiz modules. The acids used to etch PCB's will
also work, but you cannot use the same batch of acid to plate the copper..

Once you strip the nickel, that acid now contains a percentage of nickel, so
it is wise to keep to separate 'tanks', one for stripping and one for plating..

benmwv

If you do this I suggest you coat the threads in thermal paste before you thread them together. The actual mechanical contact area is well below 50% with those loose threads, filling that gap with thermal paste can only help.

Or, you could get one of these from me! They thread over the back of an aixiz module and contact the back of the diode and fill the thread space. Thermal paste would be a benefit here too..

IMG_20110906_235745.jpg

IMG_20110906_230504.jpg

In my above post : "...(with thermal paste in the threads)" :)

I was looking at your thread yesterday, and I was thinking of buying some of your modules and a couple of those aluminum things. To tell you the truth I'd rather have those than a driver heatsink (thats what there were originally meant to be right?). How much do those cost? Also how much are the 3.8mm modules? I believe you said they were available but the price still said x.xx

Right now I only have 1 5.6mm module left and 2 3.8mm modules. I plan to make more next weekend though, so check back on my thread and I'll update the prices and such.

These little discs were meant to be driver heatsinks but I couldn't get a good enough grip to mill the flat without crushing the threads so I just turned off the extra material and ended up with these things.

Wannaburn, PM me your address and I'll send this module over to you to test. :D