Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Converting a Laser Pointer to Mains

Benm

I wouldnt worry about cooling too much - these things are designed for continous operation with free air flow around them. I'm sure enclosing them in a case with proper air vents will suffice without the need for forced air (fan) cooling.

HIMNL9

In my ones, the power supply was heathing enough (maybe just cause they was 80mW output, not sure), so i added little fans, taking the power for the fan from the PSU itself, and solved the problem ;)

Uhm, maybe i still have one or two of them around, hidden somewhere (damn, i think i have too much modules, hidden here or there doing nothing ..... must hunt them out, one of these days :p)

Benm

You mean the heatsink on the power supply ran a bit hot?

This doesnt have to be a problem, these things are designed to still operate when running hot, really hot. Things like LM317 and other regulators have allowable junction temperatures in the order of 125 or 150 degrees C. If operated near that with a small heatsink, the heatsink will be hot enough to burn your fingers on, yet acceptable to the chip.

kees

hey guys,

been doing a bit of research on your recommendations. I've decided that i'd like to use a blue or violet laser and i've been looking round for a module that suits me. The only one i've managed to find is this one :
130-150mW Industrial 405nm blu-ray laser module diode [OLBVM150] - $97.99 : O-Like, Quality Products, Great Prices

My issue is i'm pretty sure that laser will burn and is a little overpowered for my needs. I'm looking for something less than 50mw ideally. Will that laser burn?

HIMNL9

Yes, 150mW of 405nm can burn (and is much less visible of green, except if you point it on fluorescent things), but that driver have a trimmer for regulate the power, so you can turn it down, if you really want ..... anyway, i suppose that you can get a 50mW unit (or also a PHR in a lab-style heatsink, that can reach 100mW), for less than that money, from any of the members here that made kits or have access to a lathe and machines ..... or also just using one of the 5,6mm hosts with lenses for 405nm selled from o-like, and a PHR diode .....

Other than this, that unit is a 12VDC unit, not a direct main powered unit (you still need a 12VDC psu) .....