Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Confusing, strange situation with a “650nm“ 4 pin laser diode / please help

leo.b

Hi ( im sorry for my bad english )
I realy hope someone can help me....

today something very strange happened to me.

i had a “laser show“ device for 10$. On the package, it says, that the red laser had 100mw / 650nm and the green laser had 50mw 532nm.
i took the star effekt filter away and i could make little bit of burning with the red laser.( strange diode with 4 pins )

Than i found a laser driver that i had, but i dont know of wich laser it was.
i attached the red laser diode to the driver board and turned it on.
the dot, was about the same strength, as attacked on the laser show device.

but now the strange thing happend....

i put on my eagle pair OD4 safety glasses and wantet to burn a couple of things.
The laser was like twice so strong, as before.

BUT I COULDNT SEE ANY DOT 😳(TESTED TWICE).With the glasses i couldnt see any dot, ( not even on a white surface )
but it burns twice so strong as before.

ATTACHED ON THE LASER SHOW DEVICE I SAW THE DOT WITH MY SAFETY GLASSES AND IT WAS LESS STRONG IN BURNING.

Im now very confused what happend.
I hope someone can help me, because i am also scared that maybe it made some damage to my eyes.

Here some dates from the power of the laser show device and the driver board.

LASER SHOW DEVICE:
without laser diode: 5,10 V / 240ma

with laser diode: 2,40 V 240ma

DRIVER BOARD:
without laser diode: 3,90 V / 70 ma

With laser diode: 3,20 V / 70 ma

I take a picture of the laser diode ( the diode had 4 pins) and a picturo of the driver board that i found. ( backside blank)

120C806A-C8CE-44DA-BED1-F050E5E373FC.jpeg

49C1FE92-E344-4AEB-99D5-22F0943C354E.jpeg

im realy thankfull if someone can explain me what could happened.

Last edited:

gazer101

Hi ( im sorry for my bad english )
I realy hope someone can help me....

today something very strange happened to me.

i had a “laser show“ device for 10$. On the package, it says, that the red laser had 100mw and the green laser had 50mw.
i took the star effekt filter away and i could make little bit of burning with the red laser.( strange diode with 4 pins )

Than i found a laser driver that i had, but i dont know of wich laser it was.
i attached the red laser diode to the driver board and turned it on.
the dot, was about the same strength, as attacked on the laser show device.

but now the strange thing happend....

i put on my eagle pair OD4 safety glasses and wantet to burn a couple of things.
The laser was like twice so strong, as before.

BUT I COULDNT SEE ANY DOT 😳(TESTED TWICE).With the glasses i couldnt see any dot, ( not even on a white surface )
but it burns twice so strong as before.

ATTACHED ON THE LASER SHOW DEVICE I SAW THE DOT WITH MY SAFETY GLASSES AND IT WAS LESS STRONG IN BURNING.

Im now very confused what happend.
I hope someone can help me, because i am also scared that maybe it made some damage to my eyes.

Here some dates from the power of the laser show device and the driver board.

LASER SHOW DEVICE:
without laser diode: 5,10 V / 240ma

with laser diode: 2,40 V 240ma

DRIVER BOARD:
without laser diode: 3,90 V / 70 ma

With laser diode: 3,20 V / 70 ma

I take a picture of the laser diode ( the diode had 4 pins) and a picturo of the driver board that i found. ( backside blank)

View attachment 68884

View attachment 68883

im realy thankfull if someone can explain me what could happened.
Judging from the bodge solder job, its possible that the connections got slightly tighter on their own due to heat or something in the time you were putting your goggles on. Try pre-tinning the wire tips then soldering them back onto the board for more consistent results.

4 pins? Maybe it's a 660/780 dual diode from NOS of optical drive parts and you hooked up the wrong pin.

leo.b

Judging from the bodge solder job, its possible that the connections got slightly tighter on their own due to heat or something in the time you were putting your goggles on. Try pre-tinning the wire tips then soldering them back onto the board for more consistent results.

Thanks for your answer.

This was the second time, so i solder it quickly. I have now tried it again with a better soldering, but same strange results.

gazer101

Try checking the diode's datasheet for its pinout, as Cyparagon mentioned it could be hooked up wrong

leo.b

4 pins? Maybe it's a 660/780 dual diode from NOS of optical drive parts and you hooked up the wrong pin.

Thank you for answering

On the package they said 650nm, but maybe they wrote it wrong....

The diode had a little plug with 2 cables, ( for the photo i took it off) so it every time the same attachement.

leo.b

Try checking the diode's datasheet for its pinout, as Cyparagon mentioned it could be hooked up wrong

Thank you for answering

The diode was on a plug with 2 connection with 2 cables. I never removed it, until i made the photo, so it where any time on the same connection.