Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Components to build a handheld with the 1W Nichia diode?

NopIt

I'm thinking about buying one of those 1W 520nm diodes. I think "NUGM01T" is what they are called.
I have built a handheld laser before, but it was easy because I just needed to solder a diode to a driver and put everything in a flashlight-like case. And everything fitted in perfectly.

But I just couldn't find components for a handheld NUGM01T diode that I could use without drilling, sawing etc and that were affordable.

I'm really just looking for something cheap that doesn't make the diode overheat.

Last edited:

Sta

Welcome to the forum!
I would not recommend purchasing the NUGM01T. It's a Gball diode so you cannot make a focusable laser with it, and if you remove the Gball, it becomes an open can diode. This means that any dust that gets inside will kill it. I would recommend going with the NDG7475 instead. I would recommend buying your parts at http://www.survivallaserusa.com/ and your diode (in module!) at https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/. :)

Last edited:

NopIt

I was planning to buy the diode from odicforce: Nichia 1W+ 520nm Green Laser Diode (9mm) NUGM01T with Ball Lens (extracted)

But it doesn't come with a "module" (what does that even mean?). The price is really good though and they are in the EU (...err well not anymore, but at least they are in Europe) which means the shipping will be way more affordable.

I already contacted them and asked if they sell all the components required to build a handheld. Unfortunately they have no experience with that, but they nicely advised me to go here.

I'd really like to buy the components from China, as I think it will be much cheaper.

Maybe I could buy one of those cheap fake lasers and just put in the Nichia diode?
But I'll need a new driver that fits in length and width and probably also a new diode housing thingy that fits both the host and the diode.

Btw, I have all sorts of e-caps, resistors and even some LM317T (voltage regulators), so I guess I could solder together my own driver, but it wouldn't fit in the case.. unless I could find a really long one.

Oh, and I don't really need the laser to be focusable, if the static focus is set to infinity. I just want the laser for it's beam, not for burning stuff.

Last edited:

diachi

I was planning to buy the diode from odicforce: Nichia 1W+ 520nm Green Laser Diode (9mm) NUGM01T with Ball Lens (extracted)

But it doesn't come with a "module" (what does that even mean?). The price is really good though and they are in the EU (...err well not anymore, but at least they are in Europe) which means the shipping will be way more affordable.

You need a module to hold the diode and focusing lens. The diode is usually press fit into it. It'll also provide some heatsinking for the diode, but generally not nearly enough. The module is usually mounted to an additional heatsink. Most modules we use look like this:
5%20pack.jpg

I already contacted them and asked if they sell all the components required to build a handheld. Unfortunately they have no experience with that, but they nicely advised me to go here.

I'd really like to buy the components from China, as I think it will be much cheaper.

Maybe I could buy one of those cheap fake lasers and just put in the Nichia diode?
But I'll need a new driver that fits in length and width and probably also a new diode housing thingy that fits both the host and the diode.

Hmm you could, but you'd be better just building it from scratch using individual components that are known to work together at that point.

Btw, I have all sorts of e-caps, resistors and even some LM317T (voltage regulators), so I guess I could solder together my own driver, but it wouldn't fit in the case.. unless I could find a really long one.

LM317 isn't ideal for this diode if you're wanting 1W out. You'll be right at the limits of what an LM317 is good for. An LM338 would be more suitable. Linear drivers aren't the best for handhelds anyway, adds more heat that you need to get rid of. Switching is the way forward IMO.

Oh, and I don't really need the laser to be focusable, if the static focus is set to infinity. I just want the laser for it's beam, not for burning stuff.

5 Character limit...

Last edited: