Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Colored Shadows: Wave Interference is a Good Thing

Re: Colored Shadows: Wave Interference is a Good T

I replicated this same exact effect in my room with RGB lasers... very cool!!

fretless said:
My question is this; would it be possible for me to get shadows in wavelengths of light outside of the visible spectrum simply by positioning the lights and object creating the shadows in the correct way?

I have no idea what you think is going on, but there is nothing beyond the normal "light casts shadows" effect. You are not seeing any form of interference, frequency changes or new wavelengths popping out of nowhere.

Light sources in different positions cast different shadows. Some of them overlap slightly and mix to create other colors.

Mptp

I have no idea what you think is going on, but there is nothing beyond the normal "light casts shadows" effect. You are not seeing any form of interference, frequency changes or new wavelengths popping out of nowhere.

Light sources in different positions cast different shadows. Some of them overlap slightly and mix to create other colors.

Seconded.
Simplified, if you had two lights, one red and one blue, you'll get three colors of shadow - red, blue, and black.
That's because the red light is being cut out in one section, but the blue light isn't (hence the blue shadow), the opposite is happening in another section (hence the red shadow), and there'll be a section in the middle where both lights are being cut-out, and you'll get a good-old-fashioned black shadow.
It's not that you're getting strange wave interference because of wave diffraction or anything...just that you're cutting out some of the light, some of the time.

-Mop