Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Collimator lens Preventing Me From Heatstinking Please Help

Hi all.

I recently got a 4W monster laser diode along with its driver and heatsink from dtrs laser shop . However unlike the other projects ive done where there has been no collimator lens, this was does have one. And its preventing me from attatching it to the focus modual (which happens to be the heatsink too lol forgot the technical name for it)
What do i do? Should I remove the the lens? If i do so i fear that my diode may become damaged. I feel like that is the only option so how do i do so without murdering my precious laser diode? For extra information i suppose. The laser diode I got was the NUBM061703722072393.jpeg
Theres some wriggle room inside but i dont want to take the chance and kill my laser diode from heat,
1703724540001.jpeg
What can I do?

You can remove the g-ball lens from the diode but it may shorten the life of the diode. I also sell "G-Ball Adapters" that would work.

loreadarkshade

Here is my advice, I've sold over 1k units, I have lots off experience with NUBM05, 06, 07, 08, etc. etc. diodes which have these long collimating lenses.

Grab the lens into a vice, tightly but not too tight as to crack the glass. (not the end of the world if it cracks, but it's best to avoid glass shards inside the laser die assembly)

Grab a pair of pliers and hold the base of the diode firmly, and break off the LD from the lens in a prying motion. I do this all the time, not a single failed diode in 4 years, and I offer lifetime warranty. Many of my sharp closed can diodes have died before my de-canned diodes.

Make sure to add some lube afterwards on the lens thread or teflon tape to seal up the laser die internals to avoid moisture and dust from contaminating the laser die.

If / when your laser diode fails, I recommend the NDB7A75, or NUBM47 which both have short lenses :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
yeah thanks bro. I tried exactly as you said, I managed to crack the glass but the lens was pretty much it. I also destroyed the leads completely.
So now that my laser diode is kaput, ive checked out the NUBM471703757357076.png
Would this be it? it looks extremely powerful. By the looks of it I could just buy this and put it into my current heatsink right? It says it needs 4.5A of current, I can but that driver from dtrs laser shop and its done it seems!
Thanks so much for your help

yeah thanks bro. I tried exactly as you said, I managed to crack the glass but the lens was pretty much it. I also destroyed the leads completely.
So now that my laser diode is kaput, ive checked out the NUBM47View attachment 77068
Would this be it? it looks extremely powerful. By the looks of it I could just buy this and put it into my current heatsink right? It says it needs 4.5A of current, I can but that driver from dtrs laser shop and its done it seems!
Yes, the NUBM44/47 is a good option. It can easily handle 4.5A but driving it with less current will increase the lifespan dramatically.

loreadarkshade

So now that my laser diode is kaput, ive checked out the NUBM47View attachment 77068
Yes sir! Thats perfect