Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Coldest Operating Temp for Lasers

Hi all,

I'm looking for some info on how cold I can get a laser before I turn it on to see if it will still work. Theoretically, could you use a laser in space? The laser I'm currently using is the NUBM44 450nm 6W+ laser. If it was -100F and I tried turning it on, would it?

Thanks

diachi

Hi all,

I'm looking for some info on how cold I can get a laser before I turn it on to see if it will still work.

Theoretically, could you use a laser in space?

Yes, there are already lasers in space. Although satellites generally have some sort of internal temperature control to reduce the chance of problems from extreme temperatures, seeing as things in space get very cold AND very hot.

The laser I'm currently using is the NUBM44 450nm 6W+ laser. If it was -100F and I tried turning it on, would it?

Likely wouldn't have any issues (other than getting it down to that temperature), as long as there's no condensation on it, although it wouldn't be at 450nm anymore.

Thanks

See answers in red.

Is there some reason you want to run a NUBM44 at -100F? :thinking:

Last edited:
Will that large of a temperature change between the ambient (-100F) temp and the initialization of the laser not produce a thermal shock and shatter/crack the lens?

the laser no longer being at 450nm wouldn't be an issue for me as long at it still had sufficient power allowing it to cut through plastic at 1.5in.

I will be doing thermal cycling tests/vacuum tests/cold tests with LN2 to prove out the laser functionality. I was just looking for initial thoughts.

Thanks!

Oh forgot to add, yes I do want to run at -100F. I'm working on developing a laser based cutting system for sub zero temperatures. the 450nm isn't necessary, but the 6W output is.

Last edited:

diachi

Will that large of a temperature change between the ambient (-100F) temp and the initialization of the laser not produce a thermal shock and shatter/crack the lens?

You may need to experiment and see, it'll work, but these diodes aren't rated for operation at such extreme temperatures, so who knows how long it'll last or what other issues you may encounter.

Oh forgot to add, yes I do want to run at -100F. I'm working on developing a laser based cutting system for sub zero temperatures. the 450nm isn't necessary, but the 6W output is.

Does the laser need to be exposed to those temperatures? Couldn't you pass the beam through a window and keep the laser somewhere warm? Is this outdoors? (Where on Earth are you seeing -100F if it is?)

Curious what you're trying to cut with a laser that's in a -100F environment?

Last edited:
I will be performing quite a few experiments to prove out the laser feasibility

In theory you could encapsulate the laser and provide it with a heater. Drawback to that is the heater would have to be on all the time while the laser wasn't in use. That burns a lot of power.
Who said anything about earth?

HDPE is the material in question.

diachi

I will be performing quite a few experiments to prove out the laser feasibility

In theory you could encapsulate the laser and provide it with a heater. Drawback to that is the heater would have to be on all the time while the laser wasn't in use. That burns a lot of power.
Who said anything about earth?

HDPE is the material in question.

So this is going to be a space application? Meaning a rather small power budget? Weight constraints too I imagine?

Interested to hear more about this project if possible... Assuming the above assumption is correct...

Laser cutting HDPE in the vacuum of space at -100F...?

giphy.gif

Was going to say, there's very few places on Earth that'll reach that temperature naturally.

I can't go into detail about the application or system. There are power constraints. 5v and 5amps should cover this diode though for 30 sec burn. having a heater for this amount of time is a huge power drain though.

I'm more concerned over it's potential feasibility of cracking the lens or not turning on whatsoever.

Encap

giphy.gif

Was going to say, there's very few places on Earth that'll reach that temperature naturally.

Exactly---go figure. Alot of these people posting to LPF recently with projects--no welcome post, no introduction, no knowledge, esoteric interest wild projects, no real purpose--in this case wth not even an earthly purpose or use. Where do they all come from?

Lasercutter see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9HH-z6jl2g
Maybe contact the guy and get a heads up.

Last edited:
This is either a stupid application, or a purposefully vague application to try to make yourself sound important. Those are my two guesses, but since you won't give any more details I'll answer these anyway.

Some (most?) laser diodes will stop lazing at cryogenic temperatures, but will otherwise remain unharmed. -100F isn't all that cold in that respect, however - it'll be fine.

Thermal shock only applies with sudden changes.

Last edited:
I came to this forum in hopes for some helpful input.

"no knowledge, esoteric interest wild projects, no real purpose"
"This is either a stupid application, or a purposefully vague application to try to make yourself sound important."

Seriously, you people are the worst. first thing you do is insult someone who asked a question not within the realm of your little flashlight world and readily dismiss it. You then proceed to attempt to offer advice as if by then offering advice you're actually clear to insult people. Worst part is: your knowledge of lasers is lacking. Anything not in a flashlight and it's all worthless and stupid.

In my line of work, everything we do is at these sub-zero temps with difficult requirements that require non-traditional methods, which is why I try to do it and you just insult those who try, give up, and call them stupid. Glad I don't work with you people.

Diachi, I appreciate your input.

note to self: don't go to hobbyists for engineering questions.

Razako

"This is either a stupid application, or a purposefully vague application to try to make yourself sound important."

Seriously, you people are the worst. first thing you do is insult someone who asked a question not within the realm of your little flashlight world and readily dismiss it. You then proceed to attempt to offer advice as if by then offering advice you're actually clear to insult people. Worst part is: your knowledge of lasers is lacking. Anything not in a flashlight and it's all worthless and stupid.

In my line of work, everything we do is at these sub-zero temps with difficult requirements that require non-traditional methods, which is why I try to do it and you just insult those who try, give up, and call them stupid. Glad I don't work with you people.

Well, when you say "I cannot go into details about the application or system" it kinda leaves people wondering if you're a troll. I mean do you work at Area-51 or something? You haven't even told people WHY you want to do this, and you start insulting them when they question your motives:tired: We've had a big problem lately with posters who come here to ask really bizarre questions, and then they just disappear without another word after people put time and effort into responding.

Last edited:

diachi

Cyp has fairly extensive knowledge when it comes to lasers and electronics, as do several people here. Many have worked on commercial lab lasers worth 10s of thousands of dollars. Some even have scientific papers published. We're not just a bunch of hobbyists playing with flashlights, not all of us anyway. Don't make assumptions.

We get people coming here all the time asking for input on vague projects with strange requirements that refuse to give any specific details that would allow us to better assist them. It's getting to the point where these posts are sounding like troll posts in many cases.

Cyp may not have expressed that point in the most pleasant way, but I can understand his frustration.

That said ... you're welcome. :)

Last edited:
Cyp may not have expressed that point in the most pleasant way

Right. I'll try again: Let me know if I have this straight:

I can't go into detail about the application or system.

So. To summarize this thread:

lasercutter: "Can I have some application answers?"
others: "Can you provide application info?"
lasercutter: "No."
others: "Then that's not a fair request, is it?"
lasercutter: "You people are the worst."

fQNODzz.gif

Last edited:

Try Photonlexicon for an answer.

diachi

Right. I'll try again: Let me know if I have this straight:

So. To summarize this thread:

lasercutter: "Can I have some application answers?"
others: "Can you provide application info?"
lasercutter: "No."
others: "Then that's not a fair request, is it?"
lasercutter: "You people are the worst."

Yup, accurate. Don't understand why people keep doing this if the request is legitimate.

Last edited:
Well, when you say "I cannot go into details about the application or system" it kinda leaves people wondering if you're a troll. I mean do you work at Area-51 or something? You haven't even told people WHY you want to do this, and you start insulting them when they question your motives:tired: We've had a big problem lately with posters who come here to ask really bizarre questions, and then they just disappear without another word after people put time and effort into responding.

Yes it's possible this person can't go into details because they are not allowed to. I worked at such a place, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory. I know some of the odd posts you refer to, but asking the question this poster asked seems innocuous. However, it does seem odd that whomever he is working for doesn't have engineers that would know. Perhaps it's a small company in development of a process under contract.

Last edited: