Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Coherent 488-20 for 100 bucks - go for it?

celas

There is a coherent 488-20 laser on my local auctioning site with mainboard, in working condition (at least the seller says so - I'll need a proof anyway). Is it a good deal?

I have an argon laser. It depends on the asking price. If it is local, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it if it is still working well and isn't long on hours. My single line argon produces much more power than the rated 20 mW. You might want to see how much power it is able to produce. Check the time meter on it also.

Agreed, pretty much what Paul said. If it's doing what it's supposed to and isn't near end of life, it seems like a pretty good deal to me.

You could ask a trusted member to 'middle' this buy--
You pay the middle and he gets the delivery and-- sends all after a test-- or you pay the 'middle' and the laser is shipped to you-- if you do not like you ship it back and your 'middle' sends your $$ back once it is returned or you keep it and the middle sends the funds.

I have never used this method but have been a 'trusted' member in the 'middle'. It may be helpful if the 'middle' in near the seller--less ship costs that way-- even better - if you can meet up with the seller and no 'middle' is needed.

Pretty fool proof.

len
only neg is sometimes there is an additional ship cost.