Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNC laser plotter

Since this is my first post, Hello everyone!

Lasers are kinda new for me, so forgive me (probably) stupid questions.
I've been reading this forum since few days, even found few topics connected with my questions, but most of them are old and I didn't want to dig them up. Hope you can help me.

As title of topic says I'm building small CNC controlled plotter. If everything goes right, I'm planning to equip it with some laser diode to cut trough paper, foam and stuff like this.
ATM I'm thinking about something like this:

- laser diode:
LPC-826 (eBay)
OR
LPC-836 (eBay)
Is there any noticeable difference between those to LD? Is it worth to pay more for 2nd one?

- host and lens
Aluminium host + heatsink + glass lens 650 nm (eBay)
Aluminium host + heatsink + glass lens 660 nm (eBay)
Are those kits the same? I see 650 nm vs 660 nm but it looks like typo to me.
Probably I'll remove heatsink anyway and use aluminum mount

- driver
Aixiz driver

And finally... goggles!
Since probably I won't buy any other lasers in near future I want protective goggles particularly for this LD. I've read about Eagle Pairs but they seem quite expensive. On the other hand, I want to be 100% safe, so if you advise me to buy them, I will.
Other goggles I found:
eBay 1
eBay 2

Any kind of help will be very much appreciated, especially with goggles :)
(if any online shops suggestions - they must have EU shipping without super expensive delivery)

ARG

Diode:
The LPC-836 is more robust, but very slightly. Whether or not it's worth to pay extra is up to you.
You may want to consider a 405nm laser diode, they come in higher powers and are more readily absorbed by the materials you'll be cutting.

Host:
650nm diodes are typically 660nm on a spectrometer. Those two links are probably the same thing.
Don't use those aluminium mounts, there's a massive gap between the module and the aluminium holder. They are good as a holder, but terrible as a heatsink.
Grab a CNC 12mm rail holder like this, great as a heatsink and a holder.
12mm SK12 Linear Rail Shaft Guide Support Bracket Bearing CNC Step Motor | eBay

Driver:
You may want an analogue driver to control the output power.
FlexMod P3 Laser Driver [FlexMod P3] - $35.99 : Illumination Supply, Quality Flashlights and More!'

Goggles:
Don't go with those ebay links if you want to be 100% safe. They are better than nothing though.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
If you want to cut foam and paper I won't recommend you a LPC they are putting out around 300mW 650nm laser light and definetily won't cut white paper
or foam.

As you are new to lasers you could get everything nearly plug'n'play from DTR's site
For a decend plotter that is able to cut through foam you would need at least a m140 445nm or S0J6 405nm the S0J6 makes a slightly smaller dot and the m140 burns maybe a bit faster

That would cost 95$ for a m140 with three element lens and driver and 99$ for a S0J6

DTR's site:https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes

for the heatsink you need a bigger one even if you use a LPC look at MrCrouse lab heatsink ( 20$ here in the forum) and a small fan would be good too

btw lpc 826 and lpc 836 are basically the same you pay for the name there

Thanks for quite fast answers :)

Diode:
Grab a CNC 12mm rail holder like this, great as a heatsink and a holder.
12mm SK12 Linear Rail Shaft Guide Support Bracket Bearing CNC Step Motor | eBay
Totally forgot about SK holders. I even used them in my previous project. Great idea.

Diode:
Goggles:
Don't go with those ebay links if you want to be 100% safe. They are better than nothing though.

So it seems I'll get Eagle Pairs.

If you want to cut foam and paper I won't recommend you a LPC they are putting out around 300mW 650nm laser light and definetily won't cut white paper
or foam.

As you are new to lasers you could get everything nearly plug'n'play from DTR's site
For a decend plotter that is able to cut through foam you would need at least a m140 445nm or S0J6 405nm the S0J6 makes a slightly smaller dot and the m140 burns maybe a bit faster

I know I won't be able to cut white paper, however I've seen some videos with plotter/engraver with dvd-burner red laser diode and it wasn't that bad. Probably blue/violet laser would be better, but it's much more expensive than LPC (120$ vs less than 30$). I guess I need to make some more research.

ARG

I know I won't be able to cut white paper, however I've seen some videos with plotter/engraver with dvd-burner red laser diode and it wasn't that bad. Probably blue/violet laser would be better, but it's much more expensive than LPC (120$ vs less than 30$). I guess I need to make some more research.

Could always try out the red diode, and if it doesn't go well swap it out with something else. :)
As you said, the red diodes are pretty cheap.