Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[CLOSED] WTB: Power supply for 2214-40MLA argon

Sta

Re: WTB: Power supply for 2214-40MLA argon

I have received the potentiometer, and it is working quite well. I can increase the current to around 9.5 A, then the tube cuts out.
The starter issue still persists, however. Could it be possible that breakers are preventing it from drawing enough current to start it easily?

diachi

I have received the potentiometer, and it is working quite well. I can increase the current to around 9.5 A, then the tube cuts out.
The starter issue still persists, however. Could it be possible that breakers are preventing it from drawing enough current to start it easily?

Glad to hear the pot worked - wish I could get stuff that fast... :p

Probably not the breakers unless they are tripping. Are you running it off of an extension cord/surge protector/power bar by any chance?

Could still be gas pressure I guess...?

Last edited:

You could check the tube voltage. The drop across the tube is not bad. It's proportional to the gas pressure. Though doing it safely is another matter.

Yes a surge protector/power bar will cause it to shut down. A sturdy extension cord into a high current outlet is the only way to go.

Sta

It's been working fine for the past month or so... Today it stopped outputting anything, even on the starter pulses. The last time this happened it worked fine the next day. Could the head be dead?

When you start it, look in through the HR and see if you can see an orange glow from the mirror. If you can't, check for filiment continuity. If you get a glow, then it might be a HV problem, or the head has issues. How was the output power last run? Was it ever measured? Have you ever allowed to head to get really hot?

Last edited:

Sta

When you start it, look in through the HR and see if you can see an orange glow from the mirror. If you can't, check for filiment continuity. If you get a glow, then it might be a HV problem, or the head has issues. How was the output power last run? Was it ever measured? Have you ever allowed to head to get really hot?

Last run I ran it up to about 80mW.
When I looked inside there was an orange glow. I do not think the head became excessively hot. But I will probably be ordering a new one anyways, I found one cheap on eBay. :yabbem:

Yeah, might've just been a tired tube. Probably well used and very low pressure.

diachi

Last run I ran it up to about 80mW.
When I looked inside there was an orange glow. I do not think the head became excessively hot. But I will probably be ordering a new one anyways, I found one cheap on eBay. :yabbem:

I might be interested in buying a dead tube when I have some money :whistle:

Sta

I won a new tube on eBay today! I offered the seller $35 for buy it now but he refused. I won the auction for $25. :beer:

Sta

I got the new head today. It works without incident. No starter issues!!!!
It appears that the other head was indeed an EOL unit. Possible that the 9-line operation was a signal of senility. :crackup:

Unfortunately this one only puts out 6 lines... still, an excellent laser!!!! So happy I can start it up easily now. :D

diachi

I got the new head today. It works without incident. No starter issues!!!!
It appears that the other head was indeed an EOL unit. Possible that the 9-line operation was a signal of senility. :crackup:

Unfortunately this one only puts out 6 lines... still, an excellent laser!!!! So happy I can start it up easily now. :D

Perhaps the tube in the other head is fine and it's the starter card that's being flaky? I can't remember all the symptoms you were having... :p

Could swap the tubes or starter cards over to test that theory.

That's good you've had no issues with the new one though! :D

Last edited:

Sta

Perhaps the tube in the other head is fine and it's the starter card that's being flaky? I can't remember all the symptoms you were having... :p

Could swap the tubes or starter cards over to test that theory.

That's good you've had no issues with the new one though! :D

I'm not swapping anything, I won't transplant potentially defective organs! :crackup:

But the symptoms did seem to suggest severely low pressure. Extra lines, low power, and starter issues.

Still, I am very happy about this one, even if I do have to remove 3 wavelengths from my signature. :D