Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Clean Batteries = Brighter Beam

Artie Wray

I'm sure most of you know this, but it is a good idea to clean your battery/batteries every few weeks or so. I remove them, rub the contacts on a somewhat abrasive surface, like my jeans or cargo pants (is it still okay to wear cargo pants?)....put the batts back in and fire up the laser. I definitely see a brighter dot on the wall.

Love my Sanwu pocket series greenie - 525 nm / 150 mW.

/A

Dusty_Lenses

I'm sure most of you know this, but it is a good idea to clean your battery/batteries every few weeks or so. I remove them, rub the contacts on a somewhat abrasive surface, like my jeans or cargo pants (is it still okay to wear cargo pants?)....put the batts back in and fire up the laser. I definitely see a brighter dot on the wall.

Love my Sanwu pocket series greenie - 525 nm / 150 mW.

/A
Quite important especially in builds using a high current draw. Another area to be cleaned are electrical contact points like threads and partially anodized / coated caps etc. Can make a huge difference in output like a bad switch.

A nice fine sandpaper or scotchbrite pad are great at this task.

Artie Wray

Not really. The batteries I cleaned had been in the laser for several months, I would guess.

additude

A pencil eraser works well for contact cleaning. Batteries should never be left in items long term. Bad batteries can sour in weeks.

Artie Wray

I will try the eraser. Good point on batteries. Bad/leaking ones could be a disaster. In fact, I keep the batts out of my Sanwu Striker, a.k.a. the Blue Meanie (445/3000), unless I'm ready to use it. This prevents me from carelessly firing it up and sweeping the beam around my house without safety glasses, or similar dumbfuckery.

I clean the terminals too but also a light application of what was
once called Cramolin anti-ox oil. Helps keep them clean.