Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Class 3 Lasers

The one I have I bought in a store here in Washington about ten years ago. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it is without a doubt less than 1 mW. I would measure any laser I got on eBay too as the Chinese ones, at least, are all over spec. This one I have is so low I cannot measure it with even my lowest power meter.

I have a Sanwa LP1 for low power measuring. Measures from 0.01 uW up tp 40 mW in 4 ranges.

Yeah, I should get a low power meter for lasers under 20 mW. It just hasn't been that important to me to try to get one immediately. But, there are times when one that is calibrated correctly would come in handy.

Rzz

Hi guys and girls. Just trying to get my head around the idea of laser power and class. Long story short I was arrested here in Australia and one of the charges I am facing is possession of a restricted weapon. When the cop interviewed me he asked if I knew what kind of laser I had and I replied "Yeh, a green one" he said "no, it's a class 3"
Now, I picked this thing up on ebay and as far as I can remember it doesn't have any markings on it stating anything of the sort. My argument is, and this is basically what I want to confirm, that all green lasers are not class 3, and all class 3 lasers are not necessarily green. Am I correct in this statement?
In my trial (set for March next year) I am going to have the lawyer ask if they have tested it to work out the wattage, and if they haven't, how they can say it's a class 3. Do I have a leg to stand on, or am I pissing against the wind.
Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Hi,

Can you tell us if you came to their attention from buying this online or for other reasons?

Hi guys and girls. Just trying to get my head around the idea of laser power and class. Long story short I was arrested here in Australia and one of the charges I am facing is possession of a restricted weapon. When the cop interviewed me he asked if I knew what kind of laser I had and I replied "Yeh, a green one" he said "no, it's a class 3"
Now, I picked this thing up on ebay and as far as I can remember it doesn't have any markings on it stating anything of the sort. My argument is, and this is basically what I want to confirm, that all green lasers are not class 3, and all class 3 lasers are not necessarily green. Am I correct in this statement?
In my trial (set for March next year) I am going to have the lawyer ask if they have tested it to work out the wattage, and if they haven't, how they can say it's a class 3. Do I have a leg to stand on, or am I pissing against the wind.
Thanks for your time.

Cheers

I know you said that it will be in March before you face the trial, but please keep us updated on what happened.

Also, so sorry you got tangled up in that mess. The law seems so unfair and unreasonable. :(