Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Chinese RGB laser 1w : hardware lower output power

bgnt44

Hello

Quick question, i have a chinese laser RGB 1w total analog 30kpps (the one less than 500$)

But my question may apply to other basics models

is it possible to lower each diode laser output power ?

exemple :

green is 200mw and i want to have max 50mw

same goes for other colors.

I know that could be done with software but for pratic and safety purpose i want to lower the max level

Otherwise do you know if there is any analog lower power laser diode on the market ( around 200mw total )

Thanks

Last edited:

I suspect the drivers are all set for a specific current. You could either take it apart and set them with a dummy load....or..... if you have a laser power meter, you can adjust the green down while blocking red and blue. That would be the easiest way to do it.

As Paul said... see if the Laser Diode drivers
are adjustable in your Laser projector. Then
using a Laser Power Meter adjust each color
individually until you get the powers you want.

Jerry

You got a link? Without knowing what pj that is.. that's a first thing to know. Pics of inside to possibly see the diode drivers is a second. Worst case ide assume theyou are 12v drivers.. prolly in a single PCB. You could always remove the diode drivers to replace with known adjustables and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
In an unrelated subject, I was wondering if I got a low power projector, how feasible would it be to replace the diodes and drivers to make a more powerful projector?

That difficult, huh? I was looking at several recently and some seem like the only real difference was the power level. That and the huge price difference. I was hoping that if I got an ILDA compatible projector that was low power I could make it into a $1500.00 one by increasing the power of the diodes and drivers. Might just be a pipe dream. Oh, well. :(

That what some people do... just upgrade your diodes and drivers.. but you gotta remeber that if you go higher power your dealing with multimode diodes so you either have to deal with terrible divergance or add optical correction.. if you want just beamshows it isn't too bad.. but your abstracts and graphics will suffer.. also cheaper pjs have cheaper galvos

What about two projectors that look identical and have all the same features, except one is three times the power of the other. I could use single mode diodes PBS combined to keep the divergence low while increasing the power by that much. The difference in price is $499.00 to $1500.00 for the identical projectors of different output powers. Seems like I could save quite a bit if this is the only difference. I haven't worked with these projectors before, so I am trying to glean what knowledge I can from your experience.

Well your gonna run into space issues with the foot print on some of these pjs. I was gonna snap a pic of one of my pj's but I'm on mobile. But they tend to cram a lot of these components together.. you could get a cheaper one and find a bigger enclosure...

edit.. pics. not much room in there. this is my d1800. ive already hd to replace the gavlos and green diode. so ive had it very much apart many times.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pj1.jpg
    pj1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 95
  • pj2.jpg
    pj2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 101
  • pj3.jpg
    pj3.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Hmm. Maybe this is a project better left for another time. I would have to familiarize myself with everything about the particular projector I was planning on modifying before I even bought the thing. IDK. maybe it just isn't worth the effort.

bgnt44

just my two cents , i asked one chinese manufacturer to change a low power rgb laser 300mw from 30k to 45k galvos and they re not even able to do it , probably case size issue.

so yeah cases are pretty much always filled and its hard to upgrade.. i suppose its because shipping is big part of the price and they want to reduce it as much as possible ..

btw the projector was 145USD , 30K Galvos and rgb analogs... i dont expect quality at this price, but for testing a "show" hopefully that would be enough

Last edited:
@Paul. Yea you mine as well build one at that point.. they got cheaper galvos in flea Bay that come with powersupply so really all you need is an enclosure and an rgb module.

Got a link bgnt?

Last edited:
Well it's got ilda in and out plus dmx and SD card. But I garentee that has ttl drivers with what looks like horrible alignment from the pics... look at the "yellow". And I doubt a true 30k... but for the price it'd be a great intro pj... should be..