Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Check out what I made for a friend's upcoming 60th birthday...

Came up with the idea last weekend, started off trying to cut a circle out of some styrene sheet I had and ended up ordering some acrylic rounds off Amazon.
Laid out the coins and made a template for marking holes on the acrylic, then center punched each, 1/16" bit drilled, then reamed out to 1/4" where I used a stepper bit to drill out for each coin. The nickel and half dollar were a tad smaller than the hole so I put a couple strips of some 1/16 wide VHB around them and snugged thm right up while securing them in place.
I used a piece of 1/4" brass strip curved to fit the circumference and a doubler at the joint to keep it solid. Then soldered a couple 1/4" long pieces of 1/4" brass tube as feet. However, the feet didn't foot to well so I cut a couple pieces of smaller diameter brass tube to slide into them for better stability.
The 6 pins around it are 1/8" copper tube, thought it was brass until I polished it, and wish I'd used rod instead as it would have been more visible.
I used ShoeGoo to glue the brass ring to the acrylic. Worked fine, excess was easy to remove once dry but there is a small spot where it looks like it capillary'd in between the layers. As thick as this stuff is I'm guessing it must have been a reaction or something, it doesn't suck in such a small crack.
Overall extremely happy with how it turned out, this was like the 4th try, the acrylic kept cracking drilling the coin holes.
Looking up there's little imperfections, if I had more time and patience I would have gone for a 5th try, but overall looks really good.
If you like soldering wires, you should try brass, it's fun!
Front (Large).jpg
Back (Large).jpg
ThreeQuarter (Large).jpg

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah that looks professionally done