Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Check out this beast!

You forgot one thing: Anyone in the market for something like this is going to know they mean the same thing and it makes the seller look like a fruitcake.

TOM: eye yam 695 gigaseconds old! I weigh 60,000,000,000,000 nanograms!
BOB: You're still a newb.

Haha yeah that's what I meant, that's the downfall of attempting to be sarcastic on the internet, it doesn't read like how it sounded in the head. :)

[So every house in Europe has 3 phase??? that is the way it should be here!! Another thing I like about Eupopean power is that you can buy a vacuum cleaner that is 2500 watts where here in US you only can get 150 watt plug in appliances. I think USA is King of countries but our power system SUCKS!!! we should have 3 phase in every house instead of this mickmouse single phase crap!! and to get 3 phase they grill you and charge demand totaly B.S.!!

LSRFAQ

I've had more of those sleds then I can count, and used them, modified, in labs for years. Lets get some things straight about the I90MA and I90MK.

The tube is two inches longer then a scientific I90. The magnet is smaller and lighter because it does NOT need a dual field coil. The KR will have a series magnet, wired in series with the tube. The Ar will have a standard magnet and burn roughly 300-watts of power in the magnet

10,000 mW is just wrong, thats the warning sticker power, which is usually at least twice the design emission in the US.

The argon tube, multimode, multiline might, on a good day, do 4.5 -5 watts when its spent a few years in a doctors office. They ship at about 6.0 Usually after 5-10 years of service, they are doing 3.5 watts. That is at 35 amps of tube current.

Since they need to do get 3 watts of argon down the medical fiber, they get pulled when they don't have 500 mW extra to meet the fiber losses.

The krypton tube, is more on the region of 750 mW to 1 watt, 2 watts when new at 35 amps. Evil, I'd be glad to send you factory test sheets to back this up. Its running 647 and 676 red, but with a optics change, will support other lines.

When you get them, ex-medical the argon will have 2500-5000 hours on its life, and the krypton, about 50-100

The supply is a linear, it runs one tube at a time.

What you have to watch out for, is nobody dewaters them when they put them in wearhouses, so you have to make sure the magnets have not been frozen.

The other thing is the fill system has a rubber oring, and very slowly over time, the pressure leaks up, so if you dont run them, you end up needing to burn off gas for a LONG time before the power comes back up. They will light at extremely high pressure, and still lase for the most part at 50-60% of what they will do, when high pressure.

Seven times out of ten the hospital techs have never cleaned or adjusted the optics, so its often a simple align and clean to bring them back to spec power.

Real worth for a dual tube set untested is 500-900$. The medical guys will pay 700-900$ for a used tube that passes specs.. If and when they have a need, and that need is declining.

I've ran those tubes off single phase to about 1-3 watts, but you really have to watch the cathode voltage as you raise the current, because the power line sags. That is not on the internal power supply, which is really a big linear with a buck/boost transformer, and it wants 3 phase.

Offer them 400$, but better have a big trailer, because the solid AL end castings (you cant see them) in that thing weigh a ton. Its fairly easy to strip it down and repackage it.

Then have a blast reading their other two laser auctions:

This is a quartz/graphite tube, early generation. Yours for a mere 3 grand, down from 5K. ..(Dont pay over 80$ for one of these,complete, unless you see it run, and can get it home without breaking the fragile tube)

http://cgi.ebay.com/5000-MILLIWATTS...UA%2BLM&otn=5&ps=63&clkid=8223600387380099621

The power supply in that picture, well the guts are the same as in the med sled, a big linear. There is nothing wrong with a linear,and they are easy to fix, but they are massive.

This is NOT a mixedgas tube, as claimed, , its about a 1 watt krypton, again, graphite tube. It might have the broadband optics in it, but beware, because its so old the optics coatings may be water soluable and can only be cleaned by very dry alcohol or acetone.
The 150 millitorr number is a bit low.. Somebody wanted extra yellow from that number..

There is a strong chance both of these tubes could run, maybe one in 3, and if you jury rig 110 to the pressure guage circuit you can find out if they are still possibly good. It doesnt look like epoxy sealed optics, so there is a fair chance...

But those are very old lasers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3500-MILLIWATTS...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9ed56266

Steve

Last edited:
Those old Coherent heads for 4 Grand look just like my CR-15 head with a power supply that is the size of a small fridge. I paid too much for mine seeing that the ballast tank hose connection is broken off the glass. Nice boat anchor. I love the way the head looks though, It would be much neater looking once I see a blue/green beam coming from it. I almost bought a laser just like the one we are talking about but instead of having two ion laser tubes in it,, had one argon pumping a dye laser, The shipping they wanted I had to pass it up. I wish I got it. It would be neat to have a dye laser. But someone told me that they get rid of them cause the tube is old and can't pump the dye laser anymore. Don't know. The more I read these threads the more I know that I don't know jack *^$% about lasers

I just noticed it is the same person that wants telephone numbers for their other laser crap. The one I looked at on Ebay last year that was the Dye laser that looks just like that laser wanted 500 bucks for it but the shipping was 700.

LSRFAQ

Those old Coherent heads for 4 Grand look just like my CR-15 head with a power supply that is the size of a small fridge. I paid too much for mine seeing that the ballast tank hose connection is broken off the glass. Nice boat anchor. I love the way the head looks though, It would be much neater looking once I see a blue/green beam coming from it. I almost bought a laser just like the one we are talking about but instead of having two ion laser tubes in it,, had one argon pumping a dye laser, The shipping they wanted I had to pass it up. I wish I got it. It would be neat to have a dye laser. But someone told me that they get rid of them cause the tube is old and can't pump the dye laser anymore. Don't know. The more I read these threads the more I know that I don't know jack *^$% about lasers

The dye pumps usually go up to 7-8 watts for some short periods of time
Often they are fine for hobby use when they no longer threshold the dye.

Since you have the 220-3P, try B. again, if he cant help you, I have a head in florida I don't feel like shipping.

6 out of 7 times when I have bought a MRA based head, the tube has been good and lased.

Steve