Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Check Out My Mod for the Laser Power Meter

jayrob

Hey I thought I would share my filter holder for the LPM-1 (glass filter)...
LPM open close.jpg

It's nice to be able to just slide the lens in or out of placement! The plastic lens holder is from a project box...
LPM lense mount.jpg

I used this because the plastic was nice and thick so that I could drill/or cut part way through, at the size of the lens diameter for a clean lens mount...
LPM parts.jpg

The small plastic pieces I used for mounting clips, are from a boom tail control guide from my T-rex 600 helicopter. The small screws are helicopter parts as well...
LPM drill.jpg

If you decide to do something similar, be careful about drilling into the LPM case. There's plenty of room in there, but there is a small circuit board at the bottom...You just have to take it apart to watch and make sure you don't hit anything...It's easy though, you just have to look!
LPM front.jpg

Anyway, I like it also because it acts as a dust cover for the sensor area! I'm very happy with it and thought I would show it off if anybody wanted to do something similar...
P.S. Thanks DDL for this great piece of equipment!
Jay

Kenom

Nice job. Have you seen Hemlock mikes mod? What I would do if I had this would be to install some neodymnium magnets inside and some to the filter and it woudl fit in place with the magnets.

jayrob

Thanks Kenom...Yes I did see Mikes. Nice! Very inventive with the magnet idea. Almost followed his mod. Then I thought of this and it was just easier... the only thing it does to the LPM is put two very small holes in it using the little hand drill. So, if I ever want to remove the filter slider, the holes will be no big deal...or, easily filled. But, then again, I don't see why I would ever want to remove it! Also, it stays in place when you do not want to use the filter, so it's all one piece...
Jay

Kenom

I have to admit that this idea solves one problem that I hate the most. Having the nd filter you would potentially loose it. I know I would. by attaching it physically to the meter so it doesn't come off solves this problem nicely. It's very much like the coherent lasercheck in that the nd filter is a part of the meter and just slides in place when you need it. The ND filter is the whole reason I didn't get one of these and opted to find a thermal power meter. No need for a filter on those.

Your idea is very inventive and you get cudo's from me! two thumbs up! :)

Are you sure placing an extremely potent magnet in close proximity to concisely calibrated electronics is a good idea?

Very cool mod jayrob! Mind if I steal your idea and mke a similar mod on my own LPM?

Also, how are you making sure that the ND filter stays in place in the little plastic holder? I could just see it falling out on me...

jayrob

rhildinger said:
Very cool mod jayrob! Mind if I steal your idea and mke a similar mod on my own LPM?

Also, how are you making sure that the ND filter stays in place in the little plastic holder? I could just see it falling out on me...

Do I mind? Not at all. I'm honored...

* Fitting the filter (in-lay) is the trickiest part of this mod. Probably the easiest way, is to drill through the plastic slider (my piece of plastic is nice and thick - 1/8") with a bit that is maybe 3/8" diameter. Then using a dremel bit, carefully grind the diameter of the hole to a 1/2" diameter, (half way or more through the thickness of the plastic slider) to fit the 1/2" filter. Then carefully put just a little silicone glue all around the inside edges of the plastic piece, so that the lens ends up being glued in place all around the outside edges. (Hint - let the silicone cure about 15 minutes or so, and then the excess 'bead' that squeezed out will easily just peel off of the glass lens)

* About the little black plastic retainer clips, I heated one end just enough to bend it a little, so that they would have the right amount of retention.

* Just make sure when you drill the small holes, that you use a small hand held drill, and have the LPM case 'ajar' so that you can see in there to make sure you don't hit anything...
Jay