Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheapo pointer power guess

I bought this little 5 mw pointer at the beach last year but it looks to be a bit overspec, what do you guys think? This is in a semi lit room.

Hey savage,

It's impossible to tell the output of a laser just by it's beam or dot. Most cheap "5mW" pens output around 25mW-50mW though, so be careful.

-Alex

Hey savage,

It's impossible to tell the output of a laser just by it's beam or dot. Most cheap "5mW" pens output around 25mW-50mW though, so be careful.

-Alex

Sorry for the noob question, but thanks I was just looking for a real opinion on it.
That said, I guess spending money on a 50 mw green and expecting it to be brighter is a waste.

Rifter

what camera was that pic taken with and can you see the beam clearly with your eyes like in the pic?

Rifter

That was only my phone camera, it was actually a little brighter in person.

Probably in to 50-100mw range, I have a 5mw labeled 50mw actual(I LPM tested it) eBay green pointer and it does not look that bright.

Rifter

Looks like a lot of smoke in the room.

No one can guess the power of a laser. There are so many variables involved its impossible to get a good reading by looking at it.

What you can do is see if it will burn through a black plastic garbage bag. If it can it will be over 50mW. If it can light a blackened match its over 75mW. If it cant do either its anywhere between 10-50mW. In any event its not 5mW so be very careful where you point it. All it takes is a millisecond to burn your eye.

Good point I hadn't considered smoke.

Yeah, if there is smoke, that makes it a lot harder to tell. It could be anywhere between 30 and 100mW.
LPM is the only way to know for sure

The room looks hazy because of the crappy camera.
I'll try to do a burn test on it if it will work right, at most I can get 10-15 seconds of that power before it drops off alot.
When I shine it on more sensitive skin I get a faint warmth. I'm definitely going to be a lot more careful than when I got it, no more reflecting tricks.

Well it's ruined so I'm looking for a replacement. I forgot it in my car the other day and now the divergence is insane.
The dot is around 6 inches at 10 ft. :(

Rifter

Well it's ruined so I'm looking for a replacement. I forgot it in my car the other day and now the divergence is insane.
The dot is around 6 inches at 10 ft. :(

yeah DPSS is very shock sensitive due to the close tolerances on the alignment, one small drop can kill them.

yeah DPSS is very shock sensitive due to the close tolerances on the alignment, one small drop can kill them.
I'm assuming it happened when I slammed the door ( it was in the door pocket).
I guess I'll try my luck with a fleabay laser next.

If you're getting a nice round green output like that, then I would suspect a problem with one or both of the
lenses. It isn't a total lost cause if you have the patience to move the lenses around and epoxy them back
into place. Unless one of the melted completely. I suppose it's possible.