Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap laser question

MojangYang

Hi guys,
Cheap eBay green laser often use infrared laser diodes that had its frequency changed through lenses to green instead of a green laser diode. But how about the red and blue ones? Do they also have infrared diodes?
I’m talking about those 1mw/5mw pen lasers

IceFireForce

Guys come on! If this is some super sophisticated forum kept only for and by pros I will gladly make an exit. I was the first one to ask this especially for blue lasers, and am in no way connected to the user here. Anyhow, I am beginning to get tired of getting bashed like a little kid for coming to a forum specializing in lasers to ask laser-related questions. If you are some form of an enclosed community, please state so so that I will know that I am not welcome to communicate, rather only read the forum as an encyclopedia.

GSS

Not at all and i'm guessing 2/3 of the members haven't built a laser or know much either.. It's also a laser pointer hobby forum "LPF". We do just happen to have professional laser tech's as members that are great assets here.
Nothing wrong with asking questions as I sure still do and a great forum to learn. It's just that you could of merged and asked your questions on one 1 or 2 threads instead of the 5 or 6 new threads you started.
It get's a bit confusing to which thread is which and hard for members to reply..
Maby the mods can combine them into 1 or 2 threads.. Also are you in the US as it makes a world of difference to what someone might refer you to.. Different Country's have different laws.

Last edited:
The common red and blue laser pointers are direct diode lasers. The solid state ones are the 473nm one and, of course, the 532nm green one. There are some red solid state lasers as well, but I haven't seen them in a pointer. It is only the diode pumped solid state lasers that use and have a small IR component unless it is filtered out. In less expensive lasers this is very rarely done as the IR component is quite small in comparison to the visible light and the filters add expense.

Reactions: GSS