Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap Laser Beam Expander/Collimator?

I want an inexpensive beam expander/collimator, something like 10x.

My 20 year old binoculars can even do 3x, so I was thinking of using a refracting telescope instead.

A laser beam expander is based on an Galilean telescope so it should be fairly simple. I've tried the one from Information Unlimited(Amazing1) and it was difficult to use and was poor in performance. This picture is pretty definitive of the optics of an expander:

Because of the monochromatic nature of a laser even a singlet used in this system might work.

Anyone have any experiance with a beam expander or ideas on it? I don't think I'll get as lucky as that guy who won the Carl Zeiss unit seen in that You-tube video with the 1.7W green :(

Thanks, Kwiz

Just one more thing to add. I looked at Astronomy magazine today(checking out refractors) and the back section is filled with ads for green laser pointers. If I remember correctly Wicked has at least a half-page ad but there were many other sellers I've never heard of.