Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cheap Chinese Lasers

Let me start off with a quick intro. I love lighting, I do a lot of theatrical lighting, but concert / DJ lighting is where my real passion is. I'm just started to get into lasers, and I'm thinking about starting to build my collection. I'm looking for some good scanning lasers, DMX control is a must. I don't like those lasers that just have that grid of dots that move looking like they expand and contract (I already have one of those, it's boring). I was thinking, instead of going the American DJ brand route, I'd look for a cheaper, possibly even better alternative. Google finds me a lot of no-name (to me at least) chinese companies selling some really nice looking lasers; 4 module RGY, 2 module purple... All for $100-200. That sounds like a good deal, but can I trust these chinese products? Will they just die on me in a week?

Also, how hard is it to build up the electrical knowledge to be able to actually build a scanning multicolor laser that can be say DMX or USB controlled?

the term 'you get what you pay for' definitely applies here. The knowledge to buy off the shelf available parts. (Ie. lasers, galvos, drivers, a controller like the pangolin flashback3, etc) doesn't really take a lot of electrical or mechanical knowledge beyond knowing the basics of what the stuff does, how to wire it, and how to align beam optics.

Now as far as actually designing your own hardware... better start studying.. heh.

With the chinese stuff, your going to be dealing with stuff like underspec lasers, dichro's and other parts held in place with hot glue, etc. Not to mention the fact that none of it is going to be FDA approved for import so you run the risk of it never making it past customs.

Research here and on PhotonLexicon.

All the components are easily available. As long as you are getting lab type lasers and oem modules, you should have no issues with customs.

You can see many designs here and on PL.

Keep in mind , that any projector you make will need to be certified in order to use in public.

My initial design only cost $600 total (upgrades and replacements have increased that to $1000)

First.. this thread is is 7 months old.. Second.. Your link just points to a generic aliexpress subcategory for laser pointers, not to any particular vendor. And third.. Can anyone say... SPAM?

First.. this thread is is 7 months old.. Second.. Your link just points to a generic aliexpress subcategory for laser pointers, not to any particular vendor. And third.. Can anyone say... SPAM?

Spam? I don't think so. But good of you to ask. This may be genuine and it may be not, but it is a potential link into a country that has not crimminalized lasers yet. And in the spirit of free enterprise, I recommend Zhao as your contact. I told him I would do it and I have kept my word.

You could give your word to the pimp down at the corner too, but it's still spam in my book, especially when your reply seems like nothing more than a generic advertisement for some dude named "Zhao" from those dime-a-dozen Chinese wholesaler companies.

Cheap Chinese Laser Pimp

You could give your word to the pimp down at the corner too, but it's still spam in my book, especially when your reply seems like nothing more than a generic advertisement for some dude named "Zhao" from those dime-a-dozen Chinese wholesaler companies.

You are absolutely correct. The link was generic and Zhao was a middleman. Accept my apology for my original message.