Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

changing a burnt diode 1000mw 445nm

okay guys i have this 1000mw blue laser pointer:

blue-laser-pointer-pen-waterproof-1000mw-1w-447nm-1155071-grid.jpg

and the diode inside burnt out (was drunk and left it on in my pocket, burnt a hole in my jeans and the entire laser host was burning hot by the time i realized what happened)

okay so here's my question, as of now idk how to remove the laser's module/circuit, but before i try id like to know if rather than replacing the diode with another 445nm diode of similar strength to make it like new again, would i possibly be able to replace it with any other type of diode, lets say for example an 808nm diode? idk much about how all the circuits work so idk if different diodes need different considerations for lasers, thanks for anyone that could help me with this :beer:

jimdt7

Because i dont think you have the skills to fix it by yourslef (correct me if i am wrong),you should send it to some very good members of our foroum! Like DTR,jayrob,lazereer,etc.

Last edited:
It depends on where you live...maybe someone who is able to exchange the fried diode lives near you!?
Do you have a soldering iron and know how to use it?

lol well i thought it was as simple as taking it apart and soldering on the new diode? and also, would i be able to replace to dead one with one of a different wavelength?

jimdt7

But if you want a defferent wavelenght,you would also need an other driver !
How much mW do you want it to be ? So that i can tell you which diodes,drivers you need.

Laser diodes are in a heat sink to keep them from burning up in normal use and they aren't just sitting there, they have been pressed in so they need to be pressed out ! you will need a diode press to get it out and a diode press to put the new diode in place you should check the current coming from the driver to make sure all is well, you don't want to blow up your new $50.00 diode.

As far as changing your diode type as long as that drivers current is adjustable you should be able to run that driver with a 405nm laser diode and also with a 650nm laser diode. if you want to run a 808nm or any IR laser diode you will have to do a bit of circuit changing as you will be reversing the way you put the batteries in from now on as IR diodes have reverse polarity from most all the rest of them out there, you can still use that driver but you are going to have to hook it up differently.

Good luck...

Last edited:
It depends...you'll have to know what current the other one needs and what current the driver puts out and maybe adjust the current to a suitable value.
The other wavelength diodes are not as powerful as the 445nm ones so you'll most likely have to reduce the power output on the driver.
The easiest way is to buy a 445nm from member DTR and replace the fried one with that.
Maybe you can even tweak the driver a little bit ;)
Just a heads up: You have to be extremely careful while touching the guts because of ESD!!
Maybe take a look into the review section and check out DTRs build reviews...there are alot of useful information regarding the build of lasers ;)

jimdt7

Oh and something else ! Never turn on the laser if you have disconected the driver ! Otherwise you will frie the driver!