Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can't find

thedoc8

Not stumbled across the answer to this. What is the advantage or disadvantage of say I have a box with diode and ttl input. The spec's say max 20khz. What is the advantage of say running at 1khz, 5khz, 10 or 20khz. Really got my interest, so thanks a bunch.

TTL inputs are often used to modulate the colors made by RGB lasers. The 20 KHz is the maximum frequency you can use, but I can't say that there are advantages for using one specific frequency. I guess it would depend on the laser used. Might have to figure that out by trial and error.

thedoc8

Thanks Paul, will do a few test. I would not think it would make much difference from 1khz to 20khz, but at low switching speed probably does something. I will try a few different frequencies see if any difference. A 1 min run time at 50% duty would be same time at any freq. Later and
thanks.

Most use the higher frequencies as the galvos make using lower frequencies jittery. So, I'd get as close to 20 KHz as possible.

Who said anything about galvos? Running it at 1khz for what? What EXACTLY are you trying to do, OP? The modulation speed is simply the fastest the device is rated to respond to a state change.

thedoc8

Who said anything about galvos? Running it at 1khz for what? What EXACTLY are you trying to do, OP? The modulation speed is simply the fastest the device is rated to respond to a state change.

I know its the speed, the question was the advantage of one speed over another. I don't know what galvos is.

If you are using an RGB laser as a projector for making illustrations, galvos are the 2D mirrors and the electromagnetic mechanisms that move them to make the illustration. It just followed that they might be used if you are trying to drive an RGB laser.

the question was the advantage of one speed over another.

That depends on your application. Maybe my first question wasn't clear enough. Let's try this again:

What exactly are you trying to do with this laser?