Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can you see the beam of a green 5mw laser outdoors at night with fog?

datalooper

I'm building a framed laser harp and would like to keep the power as low as possible to avoid eye damage to users. Is a 5mw green laser diode too weak to have a visible beam if I use a fog machine and place the harp outdoors during the night time? If so, what is the minimum power rating you would recommend?

Should be visible but not too bright. Depends on the angle it is viewed from too. 90° is least visible and the closer to 0° or 180° you get, the brighter it will appear. Also, laser beams appear brighter when pointed toward you than away. The lasers on such harps terminate on a sensor right? I wouldnt think using a bit stronger lasers would be a problem unless something reflective/refractive is stuck in the beam, redirecting it elsewhere

As long as the beams are contained within the harp as the above post mentioned, I don't see 50mW being an issue and would give a much better experience.

andrew6NB

datalooper, I've trying to see it in those conditions. But it's too hard.