Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can someone interpret this for me...

jaycey

"The extra capacity of UDO2 media was achieved by using a higher resolution blue laser and
lens assembly (0.85 NA) and by increasing the density of the data written to the media
surface"

Reason being I have been using diodes from the first version of this drive UDO1 and have been running them at 120mv as per the PHR 803 which I think it basically is.

Now I have some of these UDO2 drives and was wandering if I can up the power supply to the diode or is it just the lens/media thats been improved on the UDO2?
I do use the lens assemblies so im definately going to get an improvement there!

Cheers

Krutz

interesting!
according to wikipedia, UDO does 4-8mb/sec, which is around the speed of 2x blu-ray writing with 9mb/sec. i have no idea about UDO1 vs UDO2 though.

you are very welcome to post some pics and hints about your findings! could very well be the first experience within this forum altogether! :)

manuel

From the description it sounds like they're just using better quality lenses...

jaycey

I have secumb to a private offer on these drives as they still retail at $1500-$2000

I had 6 so now have enough cash for quite a few 8X drives :D

Still got my UDO1 drives though so may start pushing these to see what I can squeez outta them.

Cheers

Krutz

nice! for that cash you could now buy a single diode directly from nichia! :p
..dont forget to laugh in their face when you do it ;-)

manuel

Asherz

This is what I would say it means:

the extra space of UD02 media was done by using a high res blue laser, and more presice lense assembly with a smaller focusing point, and by increasing the amount of data written in a certain space on the surface because the focus point of the laser is smaller.

So I'm assuming better optics, but it mentions laser resolution as well so whether or not that would affect output i'm not sure.