Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can I use laser goggles as sunglasses?

I'm glad you guy's find all this amusing. I won't tell you I really took off the shroud because I was looking at some babe and walked into a muscle bound freak!

Luckily for me beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I am the best looking, best protected nerd I know. :p

I fully understand that looking at the sun for prolonged periods is harmful...
For eons... people have looked into the sun quickly by either by reflection
or directly and have NOT suffered irreversible eye damage...
If it was too dangerous in everyday outside activity to be in the presence
of the sun for fear of permanent eye damage... we would be advised to
use Welders Goggles at every outing...

I knew full well that looking directly into the sun with some minor eye
protection (or even non) could be done if the time of exposure was brief.....
And that's the test I performed... I was well aware of what I was doing
and the results I was expecting... There were no surprises here...
It was done in response to Post #7

The white dot (which I had seen before... during my years on the Planet)
faded away within 20 minutes as was expected...:cool:

BTW... the 52mW of energy from the sun is not 52mW of Laser energy...
It is regular full wavelength light and radiated heat over an area of 64
square mm of sensor active surface...

Jerry

As Jerry has pointed out, you cannot make a direct comparison between solar radiant power and beam power in terms of eye risk. The reason is because the sun is not a point source - unlike beams which are focused by the eye to a point.

In the past I did the exercise of comparing the equivalent of looking at the sun and looking at a beam of a given power. Even though the radiant power from the sun into the eye is ~ 50mw, the effect of the larger focused solar image, is that the sun is equivalent to a beam of only about 0.005 mw. To put it another way, direct viewing of a 1mw beam produces a focused spot on the retina which is 200 times more intense than direct viewing of the sun (and that is for a 1mw beam!).

The figures are slightly alarmist because the laser spot is very small and so any damage would be localised and manifest itself as a tiny blind spot rather than widespread damage. Also, the eye is better able to cool a small spot than a larger one. But nevertheless, the figures are very striking. Direct viewing of a laser beam of any significant power produces an image that is thousands of times brighter in radiant energy per area terms, than direct viewing of the sun. There is almost literally no comparison.

You guy's obviously know alot about eye's too. I'll stick with protecting them where ever I see fit.

Benm

Its a smarter question than the one that goes the other way around.

I dont see why you could not wear laser protection goggles as sunglasses, in general.

One thing though: Don't wear anti-red glasses while driving, you'll obviously will not be able to see red traffic lights if you do, and thats an accident waiting to happen.

Benm

Somehow not seeing the green light doesnt end as badly as missing a red one ;)

Also, i think you might actually see the green ones with anti-532 goggles. At least in europe most of the green traffic lights have been modified to a slightly cyan color to assist red/green colorblind drivers judging a signal from a greater distance.

MikeBP

I tried them out today and yes some of the traffic lights were difficult to see, I also removed all the shrouding as it gave me tunnel vision but over all I feel like I have done my eyes a favor.

I am surprised that someone with your experience would even think about looking at the sun! You even said the goggles don't block all wavelengths, and it was the equivalent of looking at a ~50mw laser with no protection (what possessed you?). I hope they return to norm.

lol pwned

I would say no dont wear them as sun glasses becuase they dont just block the light they are meant to be very harsh on different wavelengths so stick to some regular glasses, if you like the style I understand, people like what they like.

Heleno

Well LSRFAQ...

I have an identical pair of Laser Goggles as the OP linked to...

Protection Goggle Glasses for multiple wavelength Laser - eBay Industrial Lasers, Lighting Lasers, Industrial Supply MRO, Business Industrial. (end time 20-Mar-10 02:10:10 AEDST)

I just went outside with them on.... and I'm in Canada
so the Sun is not as bright as in the Summer.
It is about 9:30 AM..
It is quite comfortable to look around with them...
{...}

Jerry

Hey Jerry!
i see you are from Québec...
and you know - if you are in Montréal, this time of the year, at 9h30am.... man! it should still be kinda dark, shouldn't it!? heheeheh there might still be some snow in the streets!
as for me - i Envy you. living in Natal, Brazil, at our 9h30, i think you can fry an egg in the asphalt in less than 10 minutes! now - would you dare look at the sun for even a half second? here we can barely even open our eyes outside without sunglasses... damn! hehehe
see you!
Heleno

I have a set of Eagle pair multi wave goggles and want to know if I can use these for everyday use without any ill effects or endangering myself and others by doing so?

I have read and kind of understand the OD rating but don't understand how laser goggles actually block a given light. As I understand polarized sunglasses block a portion of all light ( accepting north/south and blocking east/west waves ). Is it possible to make a comparison on 2 different glasses like that?

You are humorous girl :drool: If you like the looks of them wear them ! But it seems that the item you recommended is fashion sunglasses not laser goggle :crackup:

Hahaha I know i'm late in this thread but you should drive around with a welding mask on.
I do it all the time... jk ;) :crackup: