Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can I upgrade this laser

Assman

Hello,
I was wondering if i can upgrade this laser? I took it apart and cant seem to find a way to get the diode out. It is only a 10mw Green laser and is very weak. It is a Scorpion Sky by Chauvet. I can get it off the Heatsink, ( I think, the thing that looks like cooling fins?), but after that it appears to be one piece. I will gladly disassemble more and take pics if that would help.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

DSC00264.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

I wouldn't dissasemble it more. You're going to get into DPSS crystal structure if you go any further, and that's not something you can reliably tweak yourself. Theoretically the IR pump diode could be "upgraded" to a higher output one, but there's no telling if the crystal set could take the increased pump output.

I'd leave it alone at this point if it's still working. Going any further you're likely going to do more harm than good. That's not to say that re-aligning DPSS crystal sets by hand is impossible, but it's probably something you do not want to do.

You may be able to increase driver current, but for something rated 10mW, i'm guessing you won't get a lot of leeway before the diode goes pop. Other folks who know this specific build of laser may be able to say more though, and maybe they'll chime in.

Assman

Thanks,

I don't know enough to go any further, Ive only built one laser and that was with a kit from Jayrob. I'll probably just put it back together and wait and see if someone else has any ideas. I was hoping I could just order a more powerful version of the unit pictured, but haven't been able to find any.

thanks

Well, think of it this way - Even a few years ago , green DPSS was not at all cheap. 10mW of green even 5 years ago would cost probably 10x what it does today. So it's possible that these modules weren't even made in higher powers when they were produced. (Though I don't know, it may be current. It just looks a bit more 'expensively built' than the 532 modules you see today. Out of curiosity, What kind of beam does it produce? Good divergence?)

You could probably retrofit a higher power 532 module from O-Like, and maybe even secure it to the heatsink with some additional fabricated parts.

Last edited:
I could be mistaking but isn't that a TO3 diode setup? I don't have any size refferences on the pictures but it sure looks like it.

Your best bet to get higher power is to simply buy another module. And that's coming from a very DIY oriented person.

How much money would you spend on a module? Or if you're unable to get the laser made from a module, then you should buy a whole laser.

In either way, start here:
Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Assman

I didn't want to spend more than $50, I also didn't want to go much higher than 30mw. Thanks for the link to that website. I may just be stuck with what I got, maybe more haze or fog will help.

Assman

I wanted it to be AC power so it can do all
It's sound active programs and proper duty cycles. I was hoping I would be able to find a new drop in part or just switch the diode. If someone could make it brighter for a reasonable sum I would consider that. I only had $170 in each unit to begin with thats why I didnt want to spend a lot.

Last edited:
I wanted it to be AC power so it can do all
It's sound active programs and proper duty cycles. I was hoping I would be able to find a new drop in part or just switch the diode. If someone could make it brighter for a reasonable sum I would consider that. I only had $170 in each unit to begin with thats why Indians want to spend a lot.
In that case:
http://aixiz.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=44_23&products_id=94

These units are known to pull off 100mW without sweat if driven with custom driver.

I have one of those, which will serve as green unit in my scanner. Does pretty good job, very good divergence.

Heatsinking is top of the line, with minimal airflow you can get 100% duty cycle on these.

Sure it's $15 over your budget but it'll do wonders - it's well worth the money. Aixiz is synonim with quality stuff here.

If you want cheaper solution:
http://aixiz.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=44_23&products_id=93

That one is claimed only 15mW, but knowing Aixiz it can give more than this.

Assman

Do you think 100mw is to much if someone were to take a shot to the eye? I was looking at this one, do you think it would work?

AixiZ

Also do you know what "fat beam Technology is" ,will i still have that or it it just a gimmick?

thanks

Assman

my bad thats the cheaper one you showed me. sorry. I'm gonna take a picture of the circuit board that goes to may current laser, would you be able to tell if it will work? There appears to be a plug that has a extra wire on the one that is in there now.

thanks for the help