Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Can I put a M140 In this?

MojangYang

Hi guys,
I'm extremely tired after days of research and I have decided to ask this instead:
Can I put a M140 2W 445nm blue laser diode into one of those modules?

1591841509982.png

This module comes with a 3 element lense, so it should withstand 2 watts of power. However, the preinstalled diode is a 200mw 650nm red laser.
So I'm a little confused. I did heard someone say a 3 element lens can be used with a blue laser. Can I knock out the stock red diode and use the same 3 element lense for a blue diode? Do 3 element lenses work with either color?
I don't mind if a bit of the beam is clipped and power sacrificed, as long as the beam is clean and the power remaining is above 1W.

Coonie

Just buy an aixiz module and 3 element lens separately. 3 element lenses are cheap enough similar to the aixiz modules

MojangYang

Just buy an aixiz module and 3 element lens separately. 3 element lenses are cheap enough similar to the aixiz modules

Unfortunately currently I only have access to ebay. The only bare modules and lenses of reasonable prices are sold in bulks and shipped from China, not going to arrive in a month. Those prefitted modules are the most cost and time efficient choices for me.

Encap

You could remove the 650nm red diode and install an M140 445nm diode in that housing----however each type of laser diode needs the proper laser diode driver to avoid damage.
As sold it has a laser diode driver for the 650nm diode w. Operating current of 200mA and Operating voltage: of 2.6-2.8V DC which is the wrong driver for an M140 and will not power an M140 diode. You will have to buy/source the correct driver for an M140 diode in addition to the diode and install both in the module as well as electricallty connect them. Operating current: 1.8A Operating voltage: 4-5V DC for 2W output

Better low cost idea is to buy the 445nm A140 with 3 element lens and correct driver with Operating current: 1.5A and Operating voltage: 4-5V DC from same seller --it cost only $20.92AU ---0.92AU more--will output 1 - 1.5W see: https://www.ebay.com/itm/A140-1-1-5...179418?hash=item41f99534da:g:~-kAAOSwdgxcUxEm

The same seller also sells an M140 module with correct driver and same lens- will output 2W for $40AU here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M140-2W-44...080323&hash=item41f9951da8:g:hR0AAOSwqKNcUw95

Hope you realize that seller is charging an outrageous brain damaged shipping charge of $50.00AU to ship 1 piece of any of them.

You did not say what your intended use/purpose for the module is but for any of them you are going to need also heatsink/host not just a module if you intend to power the laser for more than a few seconds at any given time.

Last edited:

MojangYang

Where abouts are you located?
I live in Australia. oversea shippings are not ideal for me.

Thanks for the reply. The seller ships for free within Australia. I am planning on building a compact pointer with it, or just to mess around with it and burn stuff while hooked up to a power supply. Im still doing research. If building a pointer is too difficult I may consider instead getting a 2.5W module prefitted with a heatsink and driver and just burn stuff for a long time without worrying about it overheating.