Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

can i pump a dye laser with a 532nm dpss laser?

Sowee7

hello everyone,

is there any way to pump a dye laser with a CW 532nm dpss laser, if there is a way how much power would i need to pump the dye?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes you can. However it takes a lot of pump energy and also expensive dye circulation to avoid triplet states. It’s not as easy or cheap to do as you think. I have a 4W+ 532 which can pump dye lasers but the dye and setup is expensive. Shame as I could have a high power yellow dye laser by now.

There is a power threshold for lasing. The companies website I used to use for reference has changed so can’t view their graph anymore. I believe they showed 2W/5W and 10W on the same graph. 2W had low power yield.

The other consideration is the alcohol and concentration is different for cw dye lasers. Off the top of my head I believe it was EG for a 532nm pumped dye.

Last edited:

Sowee7

Yes you can. However it takes a lot of pump energy and also expensive dye circulation to avoid triplet states. It’s not as easy or cheap to do as you think. I have a 4W+ 532 which can pump dye lasers but the dye and setup is expensive. Shame as I could have a high power yellow dye laser by now.

There is a power threshold for lasing. The companies website I used to use for reference has changed so can’t view their graph anymore. I believe they showed 2W/5W and 10W on the same graph. 2W had low power yield.

The other consideration is the alcohol and concentration is different for cw dye lasers. Off the top of my head I believe it was EG for a 532nm pumped dye.
i have a 1w 532nm laser, would that be enough?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
No most probably not, you would very minimal output if not anything at all. The output curve is highly in favour of higher input intensity. The curve wasn’t very favourable even a 2W. 10W+ is more ideal. 5W is achievable and efficiency is moderate. If I can locate the graph I will share it.

kecked

I do this in research. We use a 2W 532 BUT the pump is q switched at 80mhz. The peak power is very high. My input pulses are in the ps range and my dye outputs 2-3ps pulses with aversge power around 30mw and peaks in the kw.

you can’t pump a dye with CW 532 unless it’s a lot of power. I don’t know the threshold. I have heard it done with 445nm 7W diodes and a lot of shaping optics. Mixedgas sent me an article on it when I was trying it. It never worked. I got a few photons but it was microwatre. I didn’t try very hard.

you might find a used qswitched 532 in the 1-2W range. Look for millennia or vanguard lasers. They are water cooled too.

if you want the short pulses then you need a cavity dumper and mode locker. That is done by using a photodiode and monitoring the green lasers side ir dump. That drivers the cavity dumper aom.

Honestly for fun it’s no fun. I’ve spent days aligning. I need the short pulses buy doubt you do.

try 7W 445nm into a cuvette and add some broadband mirrors or a formal set of hr OC mirrors. Try the usual dyes in methanol and it should lase Yellow R6G. Might drive Coumadin too. This works there are a million YouTube videos showing it. Try looking up solidstate dyes too. That’s more advanced but I’d start with the cuvette the dye and 445nm.

l am waiting on answer to 100mw 575nm. Might be around 1k. If I get that game over for me.

Sowee7

I do this in research. We use a 2W 532 BUT the pump is q switched at 80mhz. The peak power is very high. My input pulses are in the ps range and my dye outputs 2-3ps pulses with aversge power around 30mw and peaks in the kw.

you can’t pump a dye with CW 532 unless it’s a lot of power. I don’t know the threshold. I have heard it done with 445nm 7W diodes and a lot of shaping optics. Mixedgas sent me an article on it when I was trying it. It never worked. I got a few photons but it was microwatre. I didn’t try very hard.

you might find a used qswitched 532 in the 1-2W range. Look for millennia or vanguard lasers. They are water cooled too.

if you want the short pulses then you need a cavity dumper and mode locker. That is done by using a photodiode and monitoring the green lasers side ir dump. That drivers the cavity dumper aom.

Honestly for fun it’s no fun. I’ve spent days aligning. I need the short pulses buy doubt you do.

try 7W 445nm into a cuvette and add some broadband mirrors or a formal set of hr OC mirrors. Try the usual dyes in methanol and it should lase Yellow R6G. Might drive Coumadin too. This works there are a million YouTube videos showing it. Try looking up solidstate dyes too. That’s more advanced but I’d start with the cuvette the dye and 445nm.

l am waiting on answer to 100mw 575nm. Might be around 1k. If I get that game over for me.
thanks, can i use a 4.5w diode to pump it or do i need a 7w diode?

kecked

Try it should work. Just mean lots of power more is better

What dye and solvent are you using? Molarity, pump flow rate, and nearly pure ethanol helped a whole lot (car windshield washer pumps deal with alcohols all day, run off 12v, and cost around 15$ on ebay). I just pumped Rhodamine 6g (for yellow) with a solid state ~525nm diode, at around 700ma (I can't even measure any diode's output over 500mw so I'm guessing). Got a solid beam, right dead smack in the 575-580nm range (obviously it's tunable based on dye concentration). I also have a 1w 525nm green, but I don't have the correct goggles to be in the same room, and I'm not doing that to my vision.

I found the quality of the optics to be MUCH more important than the pump l and power (for Rhodamine, it has a huge absorption bandwidth). Your 100% mirror needs to be a true 100% mirror. I made my own by (first) coating a slide in indium, but ended up polishing my own aluminum mirror. You could use a silicon mirror from the internet. The output coupler was just your average 30% silvered mirror with a high bandwidth. I did (for my eyes) silver off the other sides of the cuvette to around 10% (just got some gallium on my fingers and rubbed it on the glass) because the fluorescence alone was damaging to look at.

Last edited: