Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

can i power my laser with this?

it's a variable DC power supply i got for christmas, and i included a video of it attached to a test load of 4x IN4001 diodes and a 1 ohm resistor all in series, demonstrating what the current/voltage levels look like when you turn the voltage knob. i will be using it to power a LPC815 red open can diode. p.s. how much current should i run that particular diode at?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6894878306558614109&hl=en

the top LCD screen is current and bottom is voltage.

diachi

you can power your laser with this, but it will kill it in a short time if you don't use a driver.

-Adam

why? current is current right? and if i set it to the same current that a driver would put out, whats the diff?

diachi

thebucketmouse said:
why? current is current right? and if i set it to the same current that a driver would put out, whats the diff?

You get voltage and current spikes, often these power supplies are not constant current or voltage.

I'm only going by experience here, I've killed several low powered red diodes and IR diodes, and even a PHR doing this.

there is also ESD to worry about.

just be safe and use a driver.

-Adam

Kenom

ahh but these things like to spike. Not to mention, your resolution isn't that great at mA. that is A. I had one of those and can't imagine trying to dial in 80mA

well yeah 80ma would be pretty tough... but with the LPC diode wouldnt i be using around 400ma??

Hey TBM...
    I have one of those bench supplies... and they have a bad problem
of overshoot when dialing in a voltage or current..
That is to say the control pot is not precise and the circuitry may go higher
than wanted then settles down a bit lower...
I wouldn't trust it on any LDs... For other work it's perfect..

There is a reason that Laboratory Laser Diode driver Power Supplies are
so expensive...  :cool:

Jerry

dang, sucks that is sounds like it wont really work. i just hate to shell out another $28 or so for another flexdrive... are there any fixed current flashlight drivers on DX that would work for the right current on one of these diodes?

diachi

thebucketmouse said:
dang, sucks that is sounds like it wont really work. i just hate to shell out another $28 or so for another flexdrive... are there any fixed current flashlight drivers on DX that would work for the right current on one of these diodes?

Flashlight drivers aren't really good for laser diodes either, they also spike in voltage and current.

-Adam