Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can anyone help identify this cheap laser?

cosmonaut

My school bought a couple of these cheap green lasers for our observatory which bear no mark of a manufacturer. Someone happened to break the driver off of the diode and now we have no idea where it is. I was thinking of putting in a new driver I had laying around, but I don’t even know the pinout of this diode and don’t want to break it. Does anyone know anything about this laser?

81DEE276-F85E-42F0-B071-D190C79345F3.jpeg

GSS

Do you have an idea where the school bought them from? It's a weird host and looks a bit on the older side when 532's first came out..
Unless it's marked as a 520 your better off getting some 301's for about $5 a piece.
A front pic would help also as i'm not sure if I see a focus knob or aluminum style ribbed module that common with cheaper pen units.

Last edited:

cosmonaut

Nope, it's not a focuser knob. Just a little screw-on ribbed heatsink-looking thing. I think I might gat the department to either invest in some nicer 532's or even 520's because those might work better in the cold at night. I do happen to have some old pen drivers though, just laying around that should work.

Hi,
Looks like the pin out is this in the pic. But yours does not have case pin or it was broken off.
I just had another look there is a case pin loos bent that why I didn't see it. Anyway the pinout is still the same as in the pic . The case pin is not used .

Rich:)

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    3.8 KB · Views: 5
That looks like the case pin broke off the back of the diode. These do use a case positive 808nm pump diode. They are usually driven ~600 mA, give or take. If the case pin is missing you can just use the case, itself, as the positive connection.

Hi,
Paul,
Look at the pic really good , I thought the case pin broke off also. Expand the pic the largest you can , it almost look alike the pin is bent over. Its hard to tell from his pic.

Hi Paul,
I was asking you if the case pin looks missing or if it s just bent. Thats why I said look closely at the picture.
Thank You.

Sometimes I think we’re all missing our case pin🤣. I see one in the first pic.
SGD🍻

Hi Josh,
Thank You I thought so , it looks bent to the point to were it broken off . I exploded the pic to see it better.
Thanks buddy