Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can any Driver be Used for any Diode?

kuhny1

Hi,

Sorry if this is a noob question, but this may be a simple question with a simple answer but I cant seem to find the answer.

Ive been an electronics hobbyist for around 8 years (lasers for around 3 years) and have not actually messed around with constant current supplies :thinking:

anyways,

As the title says, can any driver be used with any diode? I know that I would need to get a driver that supports the diodes normal operating voltage but some drivers dont say anything about voltage (just max voltage really, if anything).

Is that because constant current drivers ramp the voltage up until the diode starts lasing and then adjusts voltage until the set current draw is met?

And yes, I realized that I have built two lasers but the red just has a linear driver that specified use with a 650nm, and the other (blue) has a switching buck regulator which is really the one in question I guess.

Sta

No!
Both the voltage and current must be right. Otherwise you are very likely to kill the diode.

Encap

Hi,
As the title says, can any driver be used with any diode? I know that I would need to get a driver that supports the diodes normal operating voltage but some drivers dont say anything about voltage (just max voltage really, if anything).

Is that because constant current drivers ramp the voltage up until the diode starts lasing and then adjusts voltage until the set current draw is met?

And yes, I realized that I have built two lasers but the red just has a linear driver that specified use with a 650nm, and the other (blue) has a switching buck regulator which is really the one in question I guess.

Easy and simple solution--- get whatever diode, driver, module, and lens you want from DTR either assembled and tested together or as individual parts.
see: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes

Even if you buy nothing from DTR you can study his diode site and learn what goes with what very quickly from what he offers. Just pick a diode and scroll down on the page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sta

94Z28

Hi,

Sorry if this is a noob question, but this may be a simple question with a simple answer but I cant seem to find the answer.

Ive been an electronics hobbyist for around 8 years (lasers for around 3 years) and have not actually messed around with constant current supplies :thinking:

anyways,

To answer your question, no you cannot use any driver with any diode.

Alot of people try to use LED flashlight drivers for laser diodes, which is feasible if it's a constant current driver. The issue is the LED drivers will be unreliable, usually have lots of noise and most aren't even constant current.

Most diodes have spec sheets somewhere online, and if they do not then the info is usually searchable online. DTR does have alot of tests of our most popular diodes on his website, but he lists a full range of currents and outputs you could choose from.

Bottom line, if you decide to start another build you need to either purchase as a package or do your research and buy the proper laser driver for the chosen laser diode. Don't spend 100$ on a diode/module package and 3$ on a LED driver and expect it to last (IE. SciFi Lasers)

Laser Diodes from what I can tell are not really all that voltage sensitive when it comes to output, what really changes the output is current. This does not mean you put whatever voltage you want through it, and hope for the best. You will need to still find a spec sheet and see what the max voltage is. Just remember when picking a diode/drive you have to account for the Vf (drop) and usually diodes like the 445nm M140s I have right now drop quite heavily; then you have to account for Vf of the driver... and ensure you have some V left after all that Vf to still keep your LD powered up for any amount of time!

Hope this helped.... if you have more questions i'll try to answer =o

kuhny1

To answer your question, no you cannot use any driver with any diode.

Alot of people try to use LED flashlight drivers for laser diodes, which is feasible if it's a constant current driver. The issue is the LED drivers will be unreliable, usually have lots of noise and most aren't even constant current.

Most diodes have spec sheets somewhere online, and if they do not then the info is usually searchable online. DTR does have alot of tests of our most popular diodes on his website, but he lists a full range of currents and outputs you could choose from.

Bottom line, if you decide to start another build you need to either purchase as a package or do your research and buy the proper laser driver for the chosen laser diode. Don't spend 100$ on a diode/module package and 3$ on a LED driver and expect it to last (IE. SciFi Lasers)

Laser Diodes from what I can tell are not really all that voltage sensitive when it comes to output, what really changes the output is current. This does not mean you put whatever voltage you want through it, and hope for the best. You will need to still find a spec sheet and see what the max voltage is. Just remember when picking a diode/drive you have to account for the Vf (drop) and usually diodes like the 445nm M140s I have right now drop quite heavily; then you have to account for Vf of the driver... and ensure you have some V left after all that Vf to still keep your LD powered up for any amount of time!

Hope this helped.... if you have more questions i'll try to answer =o

Thanks for the reply!

Heres my 1 watt setup:

The diode is a NDB7412T (datasheet)
The driver is a Fixed Current Switching Supply set to 1A (here)

Did I pick my diode and my driver right? As in, will it have a decent life on it?

diachi

Thanks for the reply!

Heres my 1 watt setup:

Did I pick my diode and my driver right? As in, will it have a decent life on it?

Yes, that should work fine, and you've picked a driver lower than the diodes rated current so it should last for ages. :)

Reactions: GSS
Hopefully you're familiar with constant voltage supplies. The voltage is held constant, provided the load is within a certain range of currents.

Constant current supplies operate the same way, but flipped. The current is held constant, provided the load is within a certain range of voltages. This range of acceptable output voltages depends on driver and the voltage provided to the driver.

94Z28

Thanks for the reply!

Heres my 1 watt setup:

Should work fine.. looks like that's the current Nichia ran it at, and most thr PJs are rated at 50k hours. Which means should be stable and last long time!

I like to push my diodes a bit to get that extra power