Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can an ultraviolet laser be used to treat skin cancer?

norbie

My father knows I like lasers and recently showed me this pamphlet a neighbor gave him. His neighbor is a few years younger than me (he's 30) and he has stage 3 skin cancer. The neighbor's cousin works for a clinic and has convinced him to come to the clinic for these laser treatments. The thing that caught my attention was that my dad said the laser treatments they were giving the guy are from ultraviolet lasers. The clinic pamphlet my dad showed me listed a variety of conditions this laser therapy was supposed to help (mostly muscle and nerve related pain). But a part of me is a bit suspicious of using UV lasers to treat skin cancer considering being exposed to a lot of UV radiation is one of the main reasons you get skin cancer.

Is using a UV laser treatment effective for stage 3 skin cancer patients? I've read laser therapy has been used to treat skin conditions like psoriasis but I couldn't find any articles with UV lasers being used to treat advanced skin cancer. Am I worried for nothing?

I would think that a UV Laser (of course depending on
Wavelength) could actually CAUSE cancer....

I would do some extensive Google searching and/or
ask a certified medical expert in that field for actual
facts.

Jerry

Gamma rays can cause cancer. Gamma rays can treat cancer.
Iodine 131 can cause thyroid cancer. Iodione 131 can treat thyroid cancer.
I don't know about UV, but I don't see why not. It may also be used to ablate the tissue.

DrSid

Yep .. really outside of scope of common pointer maniac .. but I would certainly say it is possible. Not sure what stage 3 is .. but it sounds serious .. lasers for sure would be useful for removing tissue ..