Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can an LED light source be used to pump a laser ?

405nanoMatt

Just wondering if anyone had ever heard of lasers that used an led light source to pump a dye or cavity?

Wakrah

I read an article about someone doing so and it worked well enough, but they used a very wide thin section of ND:YAG crystal material. If I find the article, I will come back and edit it in.

Edit: You can find some links here: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=led+pumped+nd:yag&atb=v1-1&ia=web

I have not yet found the article I had read, but plenty to find there. The article I read irradiated the entire thin slab top and bottom, but put a high reflectance mirror at a slight angle on one end, and an output coupler mirror on the other. The beam inside the crystal ran through it to the HR mirror and then back through it again at an angle through the crystal before exiting through the OC or output coupler mirror. Whether the mirrors were discrete output mirrors or deposited upon the ND:YAG crystal itself I do not remember, but recall the crystal had a slanted cut on one or more sides. Saw the article with diagrams several years ago.

It has been too long to remember the wavelength of the diode arrays, but for 1064 nm output surely had to be IR and I believe they used 50 or 100 watt square arrays on each side to pump the crystal with. I may have this article saved somewhere, if you really want it, I will spend some time searching through my files.

There are lots of different wavelengths you can pump a ND:YAG with, not just the ~806-810 nm (centered at about 808 nm) spectrum most of our DPSS 532 nm lasers use, see more here: https://lickylip.redbrick.dcu.ie/laser/pumping.htm

Last edited: