Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can an Aixiz module be turned down to 11mm?

I have an aixiz module on the way but it's not here yet so I can't measure it. I thought I could get away with using the 12mm housing in a pen build... but that will be too big for my pen build. I don't want the OD of the pen greater than 12.5mm and it appears I was too ambitious with trying to bore out my pen body with a 0.25mm wal thickness. 0.25mm is alot smaller IRL than on paper - lol.

So my three options now are:
Buy taps to make a custom press-fit heatsink (maybe ~10mm OD)
Have Jayrob build a custom heatsink
turn the aixiz doen to ~11mm OD

The last option is the easiest (I don't have to buy any taps or bore for a press-fit)...
But does an Aixiz module have enough meat to turn down to ~11 or maybe even 10mm?

FYI, the goal is a custom machined stainless pen host at 1/2" diameter that holds 2X lithium AAA primaries. Light and slim. AW210 bluray with dual output powers... 30mW & 200mW (presentation and burning)using two pushbuttons. I haven't decided if I want a pocketclip or not yet.

Last edited:

Benm

I'd say that the front part of it could be turned down to 11 mm, although the lens thread wall would be very thin, and you might take part of the thread that holds the rear end on with it.

The rear part of the module would probably be gone entirely - its not thick enough to remove about 0.5 mm all the way around, perhaps you'd be left with a tinfoil tube if lucky ;)

I know Jayrob has turned down aixiz modules before, although I'm not sure by how much, I'd contact him to see if he has any tips.

I'd say that the front part of it could be turned down to 11 mm, although the lens thread wall would be very thin, and you might take part of the thread that holds the rear end on with it.

The rear part of the module would probably be gone entirely - its not thick enough to remove about 0.5 mm all the way around, perhaps you'd be left with a tinfoil tube if lucky ;)

The lens thread is M9x0.5 so it would definately be OK. I can't imagine the internal thread major diamer is greater than 9.5mm or so. I know the rear portion has at least a 9.5mm or so hole because people are putting microboost and flexdrives in them. What I'm worried about regarding the rear portion is the threads holding the two halves together. I'll probably loose the back half the module. I don't really care about the back half though because I only need something to mount the head and focus lens.

The lens thread is M9x0.5 so it would definately be OK. I can't imagine the internal thread major diamer is greater than 9.5mm or so. I know the rear portion has at least a 9.5mm or so hole because people are putting microboost and flexdrives in them. What I'm worried about regarding the rear portion is the threads holding the two halves together. I'll probably loose the back half the module. I don't really care about the back half though because I only need something to mount the head and focus lens.

You will lose the back half no doubt. Id say you can take a Aixiz module down to just under 10mm only if ya have the skill's, thay are hard to center or mill straght (cuzz thay are small and short)
But it is verry possible down to just under 10mm depending on your patience, you might mess up one or two tell you get it right.

Hears a pic of one at 11mm allredy in a copper heat sink.
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/307/s7300906.jpg

Still plenty of room left to take off more.

Villalaser, That is a nice piece of work there. Did you do that?

If you are going through all that work, why use a aixiz? A tap is like 7 bucks and a bar is not much more. Although the only site I know of that sells that tap makes you order at least $25 in parts. I say ditch the aixiz and make a pocket :D

Or you could buy a big ole CNC machine and use a single cutting point tap bar, but one of those small enough runs like 100 bucks :eek:

I would order a boring bar, a tap, and an inside groove bar and do the thing myself :cool:

Benm

There are plenty of options.. such as 9mm diameter modules that have diodes that can be pushed in and out much like the standard 12mm aixiz... i found them to be very flimsy though.

If you only need the front part that holds the diode and lens, turning in down to 11 mm would be fine.

Yup thats my work, ive got a tap from Victor on the way. Ben looking for one with the correct thread count for a while, tell Lary posted where to get one.:san:
I had done it before I found where to get a proper tap. Also I had a defective Aixiz that was not fully machined for a diode to fit, so I got creative.

If I had the money I definitly would have to get a CNC machine like the one you get to work with.;)
There would would not be enuff time in the day if I had one of those.

Villalaser, That is a nice piece of work there. Did you do that?

If you are going through all that work, why use a aixiz? A tap is like 7 bucks and a bar is not much more. Although the only site I know of that sells that tap makes you order at least $25 in parts. I say ditch the aixiz and make a pocket :D

Or you could buy a big ole CNC machine and use a single cutting point tap bar, but one of those small enough runs like 100 bucks :eek:

I would order a boring bar, a tap, and an inside groove bar and do the thing myself :cool: