Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Can a shape 13 welding lens protect against laser?

I don't want to spend all that money on expensive laser goggles but I am worried about safety. I would like to know if a shape 13 welding lens would protect against lasers emitted by a SLD1239JL-54 laser diode at over 200 mW? Without safety goggles would simply avoiding direct eye exposure be good enough for not dameging the eye or would simply seeing a laser without it shining directly in the eye still harm you?

Re: Can a shape 13 welding lens protect against la

Ok, technically, as the diode is gonna be emitting class 3B powers, diffuse reflections (reflections from non-shiny objects) are safe. However, if the beam hits you in the eye from a reflection from a mirror, or a directly, you WILL suffer retinal damage.

You NEED to buy some goggles, as while you SHOULD be ok, it is much better to look after your eyes, and I realise you don't want the expense, but $30 is dollars is a small price to pay for your eyesight. You should not go cheap and use welding goggles, either, as they provide little or no protection from red laser radiation and may make things WORSE by dilating your pupils.

GET GOGGLES!!

The welding goggles will probably provide some protection, but they're not designed to protect against instense direct beam hits, but against bright incoherent light from the weld.

I know we all don't want to spend more money than we have to, but just bite the bullet and get some decent certified eyewear.  Your eyes are worth more than $50 right?  Certainly the optometrist bill just to see if you have any eye damage is.

Fotons

Even if you do purchase the proper goggles rated for 532nm green you still do not want to take a DIRECT HIT in the eye! However they will give you adequate protection for burning stuff and shining it around the room :cool:

Certified goggles will protect you even from a direct hit, up to their certified OD, for a minimum of 10 continuous seconds. So while you should avoid direct hits anyway, at least even if it does occur you'll be safe.