Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

came back again for more frustration....

PIETROLS

long story short, i made a post a few months ago asking on advice on how to build my first laser... i was very dumber and pretty much knew nothing about eletronics, i tought it was some easy thing, peak dunning kruger effect moment.... of course i fried the diode instantly. i didn't even understood the diference between current and tension quite well... looking back now, i know I did evolve a lot, i made a lot of eletronic projects, extracted diodes from DVDs (only the blue ray one tough) and all... thing is, i wan't to go trough frustration again.. i got this nichia "NUBM05" monster diode from like 9 dolar on ebay(i mean, it is a monster for me), got 2 of them actually and i wan't to run it. i can make a driver and all, that is the part that make some sense at least i have no idea tough, how to focus this laser, i asked a seller on ebay if one of those those TO-5 9mm laser housings and he said "No, 4w is too big, it cannot stand 4w laser" wich makes me have no idea at all what to do... i mean it is obvious that i need lenses that will do the job, but wich ones tough, how do i know the proper lenses? I know 4W is a bit overkill for somone who was dealing with DVD diodes, but i have proper safety and at max, i lose money, i will underdrive the thing tough... i have no idea at all about anything about the lenses, if you are wiling to explain the basics of the tecnic numbers, that would be welcome, are columating lenses diferent from focusing lenses? how do i know the size they don't say it is like TO-05 or 5.6mm standart? i know i am pretty much very late for this... sorry for the long post... i will make something i will be proud of some day.....1696363595290.png

You can start by attaching the block to a heat sink and power up the entire block, then focus the beams through a lens to do work ( burn/cut ) on the bench top before you decide to harvest the diodes and depending on which GBall lenses are in the cans, some have pretty good focus at least aesthetically.

Remember to always lase safely, wear your laser safety glasses that will attenuate the wavelength you are working with when needed and never put anyone else in danger of being flash blinded or distracted or worse, take your time and be safe.

SANY5179.JPG
SANY5200.JPG

PIETROLS

You can start by attaching the block to a heat sink and power up the entire block, then focus the beams through a lens to do work ( burn/cut ) on the bench top before you decide to harvest the diodes and depending on which GBall lenses are in the cans, some have pretty good focus at least aesthetically.

Remember to always lase safely, wear your laser safety glasses that will attenuate the wavelength you are working with when needed and never put anyone else in danger of being flash blinded or distracted or worse, take your time and be safe.

View attachment 76485
View attachment 76486
i was talking about running a single diode...

Have you removed the diodes from the block ?

SANY5515.JPG

Last edited:

PIETROLS

the shipping cost to my country (65 dollar) is above what i can pay to import legaly without paying huge taxes... i will buy g2 lenses separetly from china i guess

You can find plenty of housings from China, so put your diode into a ( housing/heat sink) then add a lens if you remove the factory lens/can and limit the current to 3.5A, it will draw about 4.1 - 4.5V @ 3.5A.

PIETROLS

You can find plenty of housings from China, so put your diode into a ( housing/heat sink) then add a lens if you remove the factory lens/can and limit the current to 3.5A, it will draw about 4.1 - 4.5V @ 3.5A.
i will drive a single diode tough. datasheet says it goes from 220mA to 420mA. I think that 3.5 A is to drive the whole block ain't it?btw do you think that the default ball lens of a single diode can burn stuff up close?

edit: yeah, you are proabably right i was reading the treshold current, 220mA to 3.7W output would be a unreal efficiency. 3.5A seams kinda high for such diode tough is this normal in high power diodes?

Last edited:
It will burn stuff up close just fine with the factory lens intact ( Make certain you wear the proper laser safety glasses. ), also you can use an additional lens to better focus it without removing the factory lens.

3.5 amps is no problem as long as you use a good heat sink and don't over heat it.

If you use a 12mm copper module like I linked in post #6 then you can use one of these to add an additional lens.

PIETROLS

thank you so much for the knowlodge, wise sir, i shall remember thee. i will post a reply to you on this post if i manage to get this one working, even tough i will proabalby fail, i may find experience or whatever...