Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

buying a laser / need help?!? \

hello i'm new to lasers, i like them very much. when i was a litle kid i was used to walk around and use the litle nub 5mW red lasers but that really is worthless...
i was wandering now that i have watched some youtube vids about modding a 5mW laser or a flashlight with a dvd burner led, i have a laptop that is totally worthless so maybe i can use the diode from the burner to create a laser from the typical Minimag flash lights. but as i said i am new to lasers and i don't know anything about elcectric things and wiring and optics i don't know if I will be able to do that.
what should i do if i want for example a green laser ( the most visible ones i guess) or another one with about 100-150mW so it can cut/burn stuff etc...
if anyone can help me with this i'd be soooo pleased. i don't know anything about the dvd diode yet because atm i'm not at home (where my broken laptop is).
would it be better to buy a new, high quality laser from the web? and let it ship to my home (living in Belgium -> Europe) (as i don't know if this is an american forum or not, i think so :D)
if the answer is yes, what website would provide me of a good laser? i won't say high quality and cheap because that isn't a possible combination.
thank you for taking time to read this... (sorry for spelling mistakes and such...)

i guess I gotta be a dumbass shining in my (or other ppls) eyes with it!
thx for the fast response...
btw i was lookiing and surfing on a site of Dragonlasers, but that's kinda high price
so this ppl's site is kinda rip off? or xtra gud quality?!
few more questions will follow of course ( i want to learn stuff about these)
the ...nm (... is number) for example 660nm or 808nm or all these things, what do these stand for?
and the lasermodules from the site u gave me is that to put those diodes etc in and to assemble a laser?
and that website u gave me looks to be lot cheaper but that's for the red one, i can't find the same sort but green or other colors?!
is this because the other colors are harder to fabricate?

Hi and welcome to the forum... :)

I can see by your questions that you have not read any Threads/Posts or
done any research on the forum using the Search function...
The Forum has a wealth of Laser Info... but you need to read...read...and
read some more... :cool:

naw the ir I was talking about is a practically invisable unit they sell you cant see the beam but it will blind you fast - to me not safe enough or maybe i dont trust myself -Dragon lasers is a higher quality site I have not purchased from them but if I was too get another higher end unit it would be from here

http://www.novalasers.com/

or if you need a big block

http://www.optotronics.com/

dang, lol i opened like 25 tabs of this forum :p but indeed i didn't read everything... way 2 much so i thought well as this is an active forum maybe somebody could just say it but anyway i kno the nm thing got to do something with the sucking power (=> battery empties faster i think) but as i said before, i'm not an electrician/hobbyist...
what search term would u suggest me to use on this forum for some fast tutorial/info/help thingsies...?

ok ty john_lawson, but last or one of my last questions: that red laser, is it visible or totally invisible (only the dot on the floor etc?), if i want a laser that u can see like the green ones u see at parties, u can see the beam very clear, of course i won't be buying those as i'm that rich, but the normal ones that u can see,
where would u suggest to look on/for? what site, the nova/optotronics ??? (atm going to take a look at those...)

ok check this out

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1218324818

demmet soo many links.... i hope my browers will not crash when i open these in tabs :p

gosh, i don't think i will even try to do all that... just a waste of time if i have to try to do all that...
hmmm anyone know a site/person/... that sells a green laser of about 100mW-125mW?
i tried to follow guides but it's just way to much for me... i'm not an electrician (2 bad... cuz it could be handy)
tx for all help already guys :p
been fun thinking i could use my old laptop for something, i guess i just leave it alone.................
way 2 hard to put a laser together... (thought it be like this: buy a 5mW laser and like changing the light bulbs in a room, change the diodes...)
how u guys do it?! u must spend like hours/days/weeks on research no?

Freezing007 said:
just a waste of time if i have to try to do all that...

Education is never a waste of time. You are wasting everyone else's time by asking questions you could easily answer yourself if you just took a few hours and did the research. You cant expect people to help you if you don't help yourself. This transcends to everyday life also.

"Stupid is as stupid does" ;)

hmm point there, but what i might try but i don't know if it will work is: unmount the dvd diode, buy the aixiz module thing with a diode in it
and buy a minimag lite thing and do what is said in such youtube video, hope it works... u think it will work?! i might try it this weekend ^^ but gotta buy the aixiz module thing first dno how long it will take to ship that

hmm it might teach me alot, so maybe i am interested in learning more about lasers, problem is i'm in my exam time atm so i don't have alot of spare time.
though if somebody finds a nice guide with general information about lasers, red/green/blue etc, and modding plz feel free to post link here, i copy the link and check it out then. on the internet (google) i find tons of information about lasers but no good guides for dummies, most of the guides require u to be already well known with electrical stuff...

naah, i guess i just leave it for the pro's and i will buy a gud one from dragonlasers.com with the money i got from my grandmother (she said i had to spend it, which i will :p) but i doubt which one to take a spartan or a hulk, as the hulk has a protective cap, the spartan hasn't i think i will go for the hulk, anyone thinks this is a good choice?

With your attitude towards learning new things... It would appear the best
choice for you.... would be to purchase a ready built laser of your choice.. ::)

BTW... it seems... you like to hear yourself talk... :-? I may be mistaken.... ;D

ye i might do lol (i'm not an authist thou) héhé, no it's just hard to make a decision i changed my mind like 4 to 5 times atm...
i buy a cheap one and mod it...
i buy a ready made high quality one..
no i buy a cheap one...
no buy a ready made so it doesn't break...
etc..
cuz like 300€ /400 usd isn't something to throw away
i once bought a pda thinking i would use it alot, 1 month later the company was broke, the brand was off the market and no more support...
few months after that it broke and i lost like 600€ that way...
this time i don't want to make the same mistake, u know what i mean?
Everybody: Thanx for the help, i think i finally made my mind buy buying protective glasses (17€) and a hulk 125mW (as it is said to burn most things etc) and is very bright. high quality, all responses of it are positive so, that's it...

maybe see/hear u guys later when i have spare time to do some research in laser.
thank you all for the help and info...