Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

buying a 532nm or 650nm diode

S

SenKat

VERY nicely done ! That looks a bit better than my first one ! (jerk ! LOL) Now, explain what you did, and how you did it ! I am going to move this into the experiments and mods section....

ok i got a box usually used for staples, a switch from a zip zap controller, a batery pack from radio shack and a laser module from AixiZ lasers.i also have a diode from a dvd burner but i need to put it in. i hooked up the battery pack the module and the switch together. then i put a hole in the front so the lens can stick out and used a needle file to file a small hole in the side so the wire can come out for the switch and by the way i just turned 12 :)

S

SenKat

Excellent !  Now - do you intend on creating a driver board for your dvd-burner diode, or are you going to run it off of the batteries direct ?

• If you hook up the batteries direct, there is a very good chance you will kill the diode
  • Figure out what type of batteries you will use, and design your driver around the batteries (it's MUCH easier that way)
  • Take your time - measure twice, cut once as they say...If you want or need help with a circuit design, let me know !

Your first assembly looks great ! Keep in mind that Aixiz has a driver board in place inside the module - the DVD burner diode that you want to use is VERY sensitive to static as well - stay grounded, and have fun !

Gazoo

motox302 said:
ok thanks alot

Hi motox302,
Good job! But don't forget about using eye protection with that DVD diode. Never look directly into any laser. You may know the dangers but I wanted to be sure. Be very careful, but have fun. I am new to lasers too and it is a great hobby and will get you addicted, especially when you start burning stuff...lol. Also the DVD diode will produce a nice bright red beam at night.

can someone tell me how to test this diode

Attachments

• Picture_7.jpg
    Picture_7.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 73
S

SenKat

I unfortunately cannot see that clearly enough to tell you how to test it :( Sorry man....any normal diode can be tested briefy with batteries, but only briefly - when you hook up batteries direct to the diode, you are gambling on the internal resistance of hte battery, and that value can vary immensely !

S

SenKat

Do you have a multi-meter ? If so, it most likely has a diode test selection. It runs a tiny bit of power through the leads, and into the diode - and you can identify if it is IR or 660 nm red ! Pretty nice trick, actually ! and the diode test selection ooks like this : ---I>i--- Where the triangular part is filled in, it maqy be pointing the other way on yours, not certain....

S

SenKat

You can buy cheapo ones either online, or at some discount stores for around $10.00 to $20.00 most likely !